Prison for Wellsville-area man who broke into store to drink a beer

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A Warrington Township man was suffering from a medical episode when he broke into a neighborhood beer distributor and caused a fire, according to his defense attorney.

Eben Edward Saar, 32, of Rosstown Road, appeared in York County Court on Oct. 16, where he pleaded no contest to a felony charge of burglary, according to court records.

He pleaded no contest rather than guilty because he doesn't have a clear memory of what happened that night, according to his attorney, chief public defender Bruce Blocher.

State police arrest Eben Saar after he broke into a Dillsburg-area beer distributor in August 2017.

Saar was sentenced to six to 23 months in York County Prison by presiding Common Pleas Judge Gregory M. Snyder, who ordered Saar to report to prison on  Oct. 26, court records state.

Saar also was ordered to pay restitution and court costs in the case.

His other charges were dismissed, including arson, theft and resisting arrest.

Blocher told The York Dispatch that Saar was having a medical episode when he broke into Rossville Beer Distributor on Aug. 25, 2017.

The break-in: State troopers were called to the business at 7495 Carlisle Road in Warrington Township just before 2 a.m.

When they arrived, they spotted Saar sitting outside the business, drinking a Miller High Life beer and smoking a cigarette, according to court documents.

Saar admitted to breaking into the beer store and told troopers he'd just argued with his girlfriend and went for a walk to get a beer, documents state.

But the store was closed, so he used a board to break a front window and crawled inside, police have said.

After taking a 12-pack of beer and other merchandise, he kicked the front door open and walked out, police said.

Eben Saar

Cash registers damaged: Troopers determined Saar stole food, lottery tickets, cigarettes, lighters and beer, totaling about $1,000, documents state, not including damage to the front window, several cash registers and some display racks.

A lottery sign inside the store had been burned, igniting a support beam near the roof, police said.

Troopers were called there after a good Samaritan who was driving by saw Saar causing damage and realized the corner of the store was on fire, police said.

Saar put out the fire before sitting down outside and having a beer, according to police.

Court documents indicate he was charged with resisting arrest because he refused to obey troopers' commands that he put out his cigarette and lie down on the ground.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.