Police: York City homicide suspect fought with victim
York City teen Dezmen "Dez" Jones, 15, remembered by family and friends during a vigil held Friday, Sept. 28, 2018. Jones was fatally shot on Wednesday, Sept. 26. York Dispatch
A teenager accused of fatally shooting two people in York City last week fought with one of the victims before the shooting, and there were about 20 shots fired in the incident, according to officials.
Charging documents obtained Thursday, Oct. 4, show new details on what allegedly happened the week before between Luis Joshua Vicente-Ramirez, 16, and Jameel Robert Murray, 28.
Police are still looking for Vicente-Ramirez, of no fixed address. He will face two charges of homicide and one charge each of carrying a firearm without a license and possession of a firearm by a minor.
York City Police said he fatally shot both Murray and 15-year-old Dezmen "Dez" Jones the night of Sept. 26.
Incident: Charging documents state that Murray met with Vicente-Ramirez at South West Street at School Place just before 8 p.m. that day.
The two walked to the rear of a home in the 600 block of West Princess Street, into a carport, officials said.
The two began arguing, and Vicente-Ramirez reached into Murray's pockets, causing a fight in the carport that went into the backyard area, according to police.
Police say witnesses heard two to three gunshots, then a pause, followed by a continuous string of about 15 gunshots.
Once the shots stopped, someone found Dezmen lying in front of a parked vehicle with multiple gunshot wounds, still conscious, and Murray was found lying in the backyard with multiple gunshot wounds, according to court documents.
Investigators found 20 spent 9 mm cartridges in the backyard and breezeway area, officials said.
Murray died at the scene, and Dezmen was taken to York Hospital, where he was pronounced dead about an hour later. Dezmen's cause of death was a gunshot wound to the torso, and Murray's was multiple gunshot wounds, according to the York County Coroner's Office.
Lt. William Lentz, who supervises the detective bureau, told The York Dispatch on Wednesday, Oct. 3, that it appears the shooting was the result of a drug deal gone bad. He said it has not yet been determined if Murray was the buyer or the dealer because witnesses have not been entirely truthful.
On Thursday, Oct. 4, he said officials were still waiting to hear from forensic crime labs about evidence that was submitted for testing, including ballistics.
That includes determining if there was more than one gun fired, Wentz said.
He also said that the investigation continues and that investigators received reports that Dezmen was an innocent victim in the shooting.
Vicente-Ramirez: Charging documents indicate that Vicente-Ramirez has connections to Florida, Massachusetts and Alaska.
Wentz said Vicente-Ramirez left Lancaster County's juvenile detention center and was last listed as a runaway from that facility. He had been picked up in York and taken to the facility, Wentz said.
The lieutenant also said investigators don't know why Vicente-Ramirez was in the area.
"For whatever reason, he's been here in the York area," he said.
Philip Given, chief of staff for York City Mayor Michael Helfrich, said a cash reward is being offered for Vicente-Ramirez's capture.
Police warned that he should be considered armed and dangerous.
Members of the U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force have been searching for Vicente-Ramirez since Friday, Sept. 28, but have had no luck, Given said.
On Thursday, Wentz said he believes Vicente-Ramirez is still in the general southcentral Pennsylvania area.
Anyone with information about the crime or Vicente-Ramirez's whereabouts is asked to text "Yorktips" and their information to 847-411 or call the York City Police Department's anonymous crime tip line at 717-849-2204.
Tipsters can also call York City Police at 717-849-1234, or call York County Crime Stoppers at 717-755-TIPS.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at email@example.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.