York City man charged in death of 2-year-old

A York City man is accused of causing the injuries that led to the death of a 2-year-old boy, according to police.

York City Police say Tyree Marche'll Bowie, 39, was the only adult watching Dante Mullinix when the boy became unresponsive on Sept. 6.

Dante Mullinix

Bowie took the boy to the hospital and fled, according to court documents. Dante died Friday, Sept. 14, at Hershey Medical Center.

On Tuesday, Sept. 18, the Dauphin County Coroner's Office conducted an autopsy on Dante and determined that the homicide was caused by a traumatic brain injury, accompanied by strangulation and suffocation, police said.

Bowie, of the 500 block of Linden Avenue, is charged with homicide and endangering child welfare. 

More:Autopsy done on York City 2-year-old, results not yet available

More:York City Police investigating death of 2-year-old

Allegations: Police spoke to Bowie on Sept. 7, and he admitted that he was the only one caring for Dante when the boy stopped breathing, charging documents state.

He told them he and the boy were in the area of the 700 block of North George Street on Sept. 6 and that he realized that Dante was not breathing while in the area of South George Street at East Maple Street, Detective Kyle Hower wrote in charging documents.

Bowie told police that the two had gone to the Rutter's at 2125 Susquehanna Trail earlier that night, police said.

According to court documents, investigators viewed store video surveillance footage from about 8:45 p.m. and saw Bowie and Dante, and Dante appeared to be healthy and was walking on his own.

Tyree Bowie

On Wednesday, Sept. 19, Bowie spoke with authorities again, and this time he told police that after going to Rutter's he took Dante to Lexton Estates in Manchester Township, and Dante stopped breathing a short time later, officials said.

Police responded to York Hospital about 10:30 p.m. Sept. 6. Charging documents allege Bowie fled the hospital after giving Dante to hospital staff.

Bowie's preliminary hearing is scheduled for Oct. 4 at District Judge Jeffrey Oberdorf's office. Bowie was sent to York County Prison without bail. He does not have an attorney listed.

Attempts to reach a York City Police official for additional information on Thursday, Sept. 20, were not successful. 

Dante: According to York City officials, Dante was transferred to Hershey Medical Center on Sept. 6, and he died there on Sept. 14. 

Dante's mother, Leah Mullinix, described her son as very happy and active boy. She said his organs were donated and saved lives. 

She said he was loved, and he will be missed "like crazy."

County spokesman Mark Walters said York County Children, Youth and Families was involved with Dante's family as of Sept. 1.

He said the agency was involved with the family for six days prior to Dante's injuries. 

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.