Police: North Codorus Twp. man chokes, threatens woman, comes back after arrest

A North Codorus Township man who was free on $5,000 bail is now behind bars on $500,000 bail after police say he returned to his house after threatening his wife the day before.

Matthew Ray Miller, 50, is accused of stabbing a door while his wife barricaded herself in a room after he choked her the night before, documents state. He told authorities if he had gotten into the room he would have slit her throat, officials said.

Police say Miller had returned home a day after he was charged and "pounded" at the front door.

MIller, of the 3800 block of Tunnel Hill Road, is charged with making terroristic threats, simple assault, harassment, drug charges and intimidating a witness.

Intimidation: According to Southwestern Regional Police, Miller first was arrested Tuesday, Aug. 21, for threatening and choking his wife. He was arraigned on the charges, and he posted $5,000 bail.

About 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 22, Miller returned to his home and pounded at the front door, charging documents indicate.

He was taken into custody, and officers asked him what he was doing, officials said.

"He advised he paid the $5,000 to get out on bail and took a Uber back to the house," Officer Skyler Sterner wrote in charging documents.

According to police, the only thing his wife heard when he was pounding on the door was him saying "let me in."

More:Second witness says man handcuffed when shot by police

More:Spring Grove-area man guilty of sexually assaulting 81-year-old

Original arrest: According to police, Miller used a hunting knife to stab the door in an attempt to get in. Police said he did that for 15 minutes, and knife marks were found on the door.

Matthew Miller

When speaking to police, Miller said that it was his house, and he could kick or cut whatever doors or walls he wanted, officials said. Police said that during his arrest he said he was tired of living with his wife and the responsibilities of being her husband.

When asked what he would have done had he entered the room, he told police he would have "cut her f—ing throat or something," court documents allege. He also admitted to grabbing his wife by the throat the night before, police said. 

While investigating, police also found marijuana and paraphernalia in Miller's home, court documents allege. 

Bail was set at $500,000 because it was his second arrest, according to police. He does not have an attorney listed.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Sept. 12 at District Judge Thomas Reilly's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.