Grand jury report details abuse allegations against 19 York County priests

Nineteen men named in a grand jury report on sex abuse allegations throughout six Catholic dioceses in Pennsylvania were assigned to churches in York County at some point during their careers.

Attorney General Josh Shapiro released the report, which had some information redacted, on Tuesday, Aug. 14. It details sex abuse allegations against about 300 priests.

Two weeks ago, the Harrisburg Diocese named 72 clergymen who were accused of child sex abuse. The grand jury report names 45 men in the Harrisburg Diocese who had allegations of sexual abuse. 

Three local Catholic Churches are included on the list where sexual abuse allegations have been made against priests, Wednesday, August 14, 2018.

More:Diocese: More than 20 accused clergymen served in York County

More:Former York Catholic teacher on diocese list of accused priests

Below is the list of all 19 men who worked in York County along with the allegations against them: 

The Rev. Francis J. Allen

Allen, born in 1945, was a diocesan seminarian who worked around St. Patrick's in York City from 1974 until 1978. According to authorities, the diocese received a report in 1989 that Allen had three "sexual encounters" with a young boy in the 1970s. One encounter happened at a seminary and the other two happened at the boy's home, according to authorities. 

The grand jury report alleges the diocese received a report in 1994 that Allen molested an 11- or 12-year-old boy from 1974 until 1975. That abuse took place at a seminary when Allen got permission from the boy's parents to take him to a seminary overnight, officials said.

While there, he touched the boy's genitals, court documents state. The diocese said Allen is dead; however, the report does not state when he died. 

The Rev. Francis A. Bach

Bach, born in 1936, worked at St. Patrick's in York City from 1964 until 1965. He also worked at St. Rose of Lima in York City from 1975 until 1976.

The diocese first received a report of abuse in 1994, and it alleged Bach abused a 13-year-old boy in 1969, when Bach invited the teen onto his boat in Maryland, the grand jury report states.

The abuse included kissing and oral sex as well as Bach taking pictures of the boy's naked body, officials said.

A former altar boy from St. Patrick's in York reported in 2016 that he was 8 when Bach fondled him, according to officials. 

The report states that during treatment Bach admitted to abusing 14 victims, all between 14 and 16 years old.  It also states that abuse happened in a motel and in a cathedral parish in Harrisburg. 

Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades told the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith that he did not believe there was a need for any trial and Bach was living his life in "basic solitude, doing good when he can."

"Furthermore, the true reason Francis Bach left all priestly ministry is unknown to others. If his case is now brought to trial or given any kind of publicity, I fear it will cause scandal to many, as he is still a priest who is beloved by many in our diocese," Rhoades wrote. The Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith agreed with Rhoades. 

Three local Catholic Churches are included on the list where sexual abuse allegations have been made against priests, Wednesday, August 14, 2018.

Bach retired early in 1994, when the abuse allegations came out. He died in 2010.

The Rev. Jesus Barajas

Barajas, born in 1947, was assigned to the Office of the Vicar for the Spanish-Speaking People, and he was assigned to York, Lebanon and Bendersville. He was there from March 1987 until November 1989.

Barajas was a Trinitarian Father from Colombia who assisted the diocese with the Spanish-speaking population of York and Lebanon, according to the report. In 1989, Monsignor Hugh Overbaugh wrote a memorandum to Monsignor Damian McGovern in which he mentions that the Rev. Bernardo Pistone noted "ongoing problems" with Barajas, according to authorities.

In November 1989, McGovern received two calls from parishioners that "quite clearly repeated the past accusations of child molestation," documents state. Pistone questioned their credibility and said that because of Barajas' immaturity and other "bad habits," people might read his actions in the wrong sense, the report states. 

Barajas is alive.

The Rev. Richard J. Barry 

Barry, born in 1949, was assigned to St. Joseph's in Dallastown from September 1981 until July 1983. 

According to the report, in 2001 a woman reported her son being molested by Barry from 1978 until 1980, while her son was an elementary school student. 

In 2002 a man reported that he was 11 between 1981 and 1982 when Barry sexually abused him at his mother's house in Philadelphia, officials said. 

The man recalled another boy who faced similar abuse, and that boy developed issues with alcohol and drugs before he eventually committed suicide, officials said. Another man reported that Barry made advances to his son while on a trip to Twin Falls, Minnesota, according to the report.

Barry took a leave of absence in 1991. In 2004, Bishop Nicholas Dattilo determined that Barry was not under his supervision, did not hold office with the diocese, did not live in the diocese territory and would not be reassigned to ministry within the diocese. The investigation into the matter was concluded, according to the report. 

The diocese does not know if Barry is alive, and the report does not list a date of death. 

The Rev. Donald Cramer

Cramer, born in 1970, was assigned to St. John the Baptist in New Freedom from June 2004 until June 2005.

In August 2012, the Department of Homeland Security and the Postal Inspection Service investigated Cramer. Their investigation revealed Cramer was in an online chatroom and communicating with someone online who was convicted of possessing child pornography, officials said. 

In the conversation, Cramer mentioned that he wanted to go to Mexico and "rent" boys, according to the report. Cramer was not arrested because he did not have child pornography, and the investigation was terminated. Cramer requested dispensation from priesthood in September 2013, and he was officially dispensed in November 2014. 

A forensic company in Harrisburg examined an electronic device Cramer had and determined that Cramer was "definitely" looking for underage boys and he had "shifted to hardcore sites," according to the report. 

Some information in the report is redacted because of ongoing appellate litigation. Cramer is alive.

The Rev. Walter Emala

Emala, born in 1927, was assigned to St. John's in New Freedom from 1981 until 1985.

In May 1979, the Diocese of Memphis wrote to the Diocese of Harrisburg and informed them that Emala was once accused of "sexually handling" some of the children, but it was not proven. Chancellor William Keeler responded that in light of that information, the diocese wouldn't refrain from granting faculties to Emala for occasional weekend help, the report states. 

In 1985, there were reports that Emala had been "overly and overtly familiar with certain boys," while at St. Peter's in Mount Carmel, where he was assigned part-time. While there were no reports of abuse at the time, parents reported that Emala gave boys wine, and the parents were concerned about "over-familiarity," officials said. Emala was informed that he no longer had faculties in the Diocese of Harrisburg, according to the report.  Other parents complained about over-familiarity as well, officials said.

In 2002, a woman reported she saw Emala kissing an altar boy on the lips at Mount Carmel in 1985, the report states. Additionally, the Rev. Thomas Kujovsky recalled walking into Emala's room at a rectory and finding a shoebox full of photos of adolescent males, all undressed from the waist up, officials said. 

In 2004, the Harrisburg Diocese wrote to Emala, saying the statute of limitations for criminal prosecution was suspended and urging him not to be present at any time within the territory of the Harrisburg Diocese, according to the report. This was to "avoid scandal" and to avoid exposing him to accusation and criminal investigation, officials said. He died in 2008.

The Rev. Augustin Giella

Giella was assigned to St. Joseph’s in Hanover from March 1980 until October 1982.

The report states that he abused five of eight daughters in a family while assigned to a parish in Enhaut, Dauphin County, after his assignment in Hanover. He also allegedly abused other women as well, according to authorities.

The diocese received a report about it in 1987, officials said, but didn’t do anything about it. He was arrested in 1992 and died before he could go to trial.

The Rev. Kevin Kayda

Kayda, born in 1985, served at St. John the Baptist in New Freedom from June 2013 until October 2013. 

In September 2013, the diocese received a complaint from a parent saying that Kayda was having inappropriate online communications with her minor daughter, according to the report. 

On Oct. 1 2013, Kayda turned over his electronic items to a forensic company, which examined his computer, and pornographic material that included adolescents was found, the report states. The diocese was prepared to send Kayda to treatment, but on Oct. 3, 2013, Kayda killed himself, according to the report.

Officials say he left multiple suicide notes, and he alluded to being an abuse victim, but he did not disclose the name of his alleged abuser.

Three local Catholic Churches are included on the list where sexual abuse allegations have been made against priests, Wednesday, August 14, 2018.

The Rev. George Koychick

Koychick, born in 1922, was assigned to St. Joseph's in Springettsbury Township from June 1953 until May 1957 and St. Patrick's in York City from November 1967 until June 1981.

According to the report, multiple people alleged Koychick had sexually abused them. In 2003, a woman reported that in the 1970s, when she was 13 or 14, Koychick touched her "sensually" while at St. Patrick's in York City, according to officials. She said he did that to other girls as well, according to the report.

He admitted he was going through a "touchy/feely" time in his life, the report states, and that he lived in fear that anyone would come forward with an allegation, officials said. He was suspended from ministry.

Koychick is dead, according to the diocese, but the report does not state exactly when he died.

The Rev. Thomas Kujovsky

Kujovsky, born in 1930, was assigned to St. Joseph's in Springettsbury Township from June 1962 until August 1963. 

In 1981, Bishop Joseph Daley received a report that Kujovsky had photographs of naked altar boys, according to the report. The photos were found under Kujovsky's bed, but he denied that he had any sexual aberrations, and Daley accepted Kujovsky's word, officials said. At that time he was assigned to a church in Berwick, Columbia County.

The diocese identified one of the boys in the photos, but the child was never interviewed, and police were not involved.

Kujovsky died in 2015.

The Rev. Thomas Lawler

Lawler, born in 1925, was assigned to St. Vincent's in Hanover from December 1960 until June 1961. He also was assigned to St Joseph's in Springettsbury Township from June 1961 until June 1962.

The report states that he abused a boy in 1963, when he was assigned to a church in McSherrystown, Adams County, and he abused another boy between 1985 and 1987, when he was assigned to a church in Lewisburg, Union County. He died in 1987.

Monsignor Robert Maher

Maher, born in 1911, was assigned to St. Rose of Lima in York City from June 1937 until June 1939 and to St. Vincent's in Hanover from 1961 until 1974. 

In 1994, a man reported to the diocese that Maher abused him when he was in sixth or seventh grade, and in 2015, a man reported that 15 boys were sexually abused by Maher, officials said. The report states he was assigned to St. Vincent's at the time.

Maher resigned from his position in 1975, and he died in 1990. 

The Rev. Daniel Mahoney

Mahoney, born in 1926, was assigned to St. Patrick's in York City from May 1952 until April 1954.

In 2002 and in 2016 two women reported that their brothers had been sexually abused by Mahoney, the report states. Officials say one of the victims was abused between 1966 and 1968, when Mahoney was assigned to a church in Fairfield, Adams County. Neither of the boys reported the alleged abuse to the diocese.

Additionally, the report states that there were complaints regarding Mahoney's website, which included sections that detailed puberty for boys and girls. In those sections, Mahoney described growing up and sexuality. Officials say Mahoney handed out these documents at Bishop McCort High School, in Johnstown, Cambria County, in 2003. 

He retired in 2002, and he died in 2007.

The Rev. Guy Marsico

Marsico, born in 1947, was assigned to St. Rose of Lima in York City from April 1982 until August 1985.

According to the report, Marsico sexually abused minors while he was assigned to churches in Rohrerstown, Lancaster County, and Lebanon. In November 2016, Marsico testified to the grand jury, and he confessed to the abuse, the report states.

He testified that he admitted the conduct to his confessor, who advised him to pray about it and try to get away from it, even after it happened multiple times, the report states. Additional information on Marisco is redacted because of ongoing appellate litigation. 

He is still alive. 

The Rev. Joseph Pease

Pease was assigned to St. Joseph’s in Hanover from February 1961 until October 1962. According to the report, the diocese received a complaint of abuse in 1995 alleging he abused a boy while on a boat in the 1970s.

The diocese had Pease evaluated, the report states, but professionals didn’t find any reason for him to not be in the ministry.

In 2002, Pease admitted to the abuse, according to the report. He retired in 2003. In 2014, Bishop Ronald Gainer recommended Pease live out his life in "prayer and penance," meaning that he would be permanently barred from presenting himself as a priest, conducting ministry or dressing as a priest, the diocese said.

The diocese said he is still alive.

The Rev. Charles Procopio

Procopio, born in 1927, was assigned to St. Joseph's in Hanover from July 1983 until May 1984. 

He was the subject of abuse allegations in October 1965, when he was assigned to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in Harrisburg. The report states that girls in seventh and eighth grade were molested by Procopio. He "immodestly touched" the girls, according to officials.

It was determined by a diocese official that the touches were "not objectively immoral but only interpreted as such by pre-adolescent girls," according to the report. Procopio remained in the ministry. He retired in 1995 and he died in 1997.

The Rev. Herbert Shank

Shank, born in 1941, was assigned to St. Rose of Lima in York City from May 1984 until November 1994. 

According to the report, Shank molested seven boys in 1994. Once that report was made, Shank requested a leave of absence, officials said. Two maintenance men also reported that Shank had "disturbing" photos of minor boys, according to the report. 

In December 1994, a man reported that Shank molested him when he was a boy, sometime between 1971 and 1974, officials said. That was when Shank was assigned to a church in Hershey.

In February 1995, the diocese notified the York County District Attorney's Office of the allegations, and the diocese handed over photographs and cassette tapes. In 2017, the AG's office spoke with York City Police regarding the 1995 report, and an officer familiar with the case said Shank recorded himself assaulting young boys, according to the report.

The officer said the victim made it clear he would not testify. Shank was sent to a treatment facility from December 1994 until mid-1997, according to the report, which states he is still alive. 

The Rev. Frederick Vaughn 

Vaughn, born in 1909, was assigned to St. Joseph's in Springettsbury Township from August 1963 until September 1965. 

The report states that Vaughn molested girls during various times, including as far back as 1958 to as late as 1974. 

The report lists eight victims. Vaughn retired in 1986, and he died in 1992.

The Rev. Salvatore V. Zangari 

Zangari, born in 1918, was assigned to St. Patrick's in York City from June 1944 until March 1946. 

Zangari was accused of multiple counts of sexual misconduct between himself and adult women, officials said. The diocese received reports in 1980 and 1986, when he was the moderator of the Council of Catholic Women. After the 1986 report, he went to a facility for treatment, where he admitted he was "literally married" for many years and had fathered a child, officials said. 

In 2002 he denied being married but admitted to the diocese that he fathered a child with a former student, and he had his faculties to perform priestly ministry removed, even though he was retired, according to authorities. He died in 2004. 

It is possible that more York County clergymen will be named because some of the names in the report have been redacted. 

The full report can be viewed on Shapiro's website. 

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.

— Editor's note: This story has been corrected to note that 19 clergymen included in the grand jury were assigned to parishes in York County and to add two names to the list, the Rev. Augustin Giella and the Rev. Joseph Pease..