Prison for dealer who sold fatal heroin to Stewartstown man

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A Cross Roads man must spend years in prison for providing a fatal dose of heroin to a Stewartstown man in 2017.

Steven William Westervelt, 35, of Logan Road, appeared in York County Court on Thursday. Aug. 9, and pleaded guilty to the felony of drug delivery resulting in death, according to court records.

As part of a negotiated plea agreement, he was sentenced to 7½ to 15 years in state prison and given credit for the year he has already spent locked up, court records state.

Steven William Westervelt

"I think it's a fair resolution for the case," said Joe Gothie, Westervelt's defense attorney.

Gothie noted that the victim's family now has some closure, "and Mr. Westervelt is obviously going to pay a significant price for his role."

Westervelt sold heroin to 34-year-old Nathaniel Kent Sweatt on Jan. 25, 2017, according to court documents.

Found by family: Sweatt was found unresponsive, slumped on a couch on the deck of his Stewartstown home, by a family member about 1:30 a.m. Jan. 26, 2017, according to charging documents. 

York County Deputy Coroner Steve Cosey pronounced Sweatt dead at the scene, according to Coroner Pam Gay.

An autopsy and testing later determined Sweatt's cause of death was mixed alcohol and heroin toxicity, Gay said.

In Sweatt's pants pockets, police found a plastic straw and a piece of paper with Westervelt's phone number on it, according to state police.

An analysis of Sweatt's cellphone revealed he and Westervelt had exchanged texts in the hours before Sweatt overdosed.

Sweatt texted Westervelt at 4:44 p.m. Jan. 25, 2017, asking if he could "do 50," and Westervelt replied, "I'm waiting for my guy to hit me up," according to court documents.

More:Judge hands down maximum sentence to 'predatory' heroin dealer

More:Prison for Hanover-area heroin dealer who provided fatal dose

'On my way': Westervelt then texted Sweatt at 8:10 p.m., saying, "On my way," documents state.

Sweatt was working that night at a gas station in Stewartstown, according to police.

Video surveillance from the gas station shows Westervelt pull in about 8:30 p.m., walk into the store and engage Sweatt in a brief hand-to-hand transaction while Sweatt was behind the store counter, documents state.

Court documents state Sweatt's family knew he had been addicted to opioids in the past but were under the impression he wasn't using drugs anymore.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.