No jail for man who grabbed, kissed Giant cashier in Springetts

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A York City man has avoided prison for grabbing and kissing a teenage girl working as a supermarket cashier and for later fighting with police and hospital staff.

Kyle Sheeyahn Lakeith Scales, 24, of the 500 block of South Hartley Street, pleaded no contest in York County Court on Monday, July 2, to two misdemeanor charges — simple assault and disorderly conduct, according to court records.

Kyle Scales

Other charges, including indecent assault, open lewdness and public drunkenness, were dismissed, court records state. An original charge of felony aggravated assault was withdrawn in March, according to court records.

No contest pleas have the same effect as guilty pleas, except defendants don't admit guilt. That happens in cases where defendants can't remember their actions or sometimes simply when they want the benefit of a plea deal without explicitly admitting to criminal conduct.

Scales was sentenced to a total of three years of probation and ordered to undergo a mental-health evaluation and comply with any recommendations, court records state. He also was ordered to submit to a drug and alcohol evaluation and have no contact with his victim.

According to court documents, Scales wrapped his arms around a 17-year-old cashier from behind, kissed her cheek and pulled her to the ground, where he kept kissing her.

He wouldn't let her go, even though she was struggling to get away, according to police.

It happened about 9:30 a.m. Feb. 18 at the Giant Food Store at 2415 E. Market St. in Springettsbury Township, according to township police.

Customers and store employees were able to pull Scales away from the teenage cashier, who suffered a sprained wrist, a cut on her right arm and a number of bruises on her body, court records state.

'Soaked from sweating': The people who pulled Scales off the girl then held him down until officers arrived, police said.

During that time, he repeatedly yelled sexually lewd, often incoherent, statements, court documents state.

"It was obvious that he was impaired by illegal drugs," Officer Jesse Trout wrote in charging documents. "He was soaked from sweating and could not calm down."

Scales was taken to Memorial Hospital, where he yelled degrading and sexual comments to women staff members, both doctors and nurses, documents state.

He became physically combative with hospital staff and police, refusing to stay on a gurney and trying to kick and grab at staff and police, documents state.

Restraints were placed on his extremities, but Scales' right arm broke free and struck a Springettsbury Township police officer in the left eye and on the bridge of his nose, causing a minor injury, according to court documents.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.