Cops: Yorker said she didn't know she left 2-year-old in car on hot day

A York City woman told police she didn't know she left her 2-year-old child in a locked car in Red Lion on an 80-degree day, according to officials.

State police say Jackmary Velez-Diaz left the child in the car Wednesday, June 13, when the weather was about 80 degrees and "very humid."

Velez-Diaz, 26, of the 100 block of East South Street, is charged with endangering child welfare, recklessly endangering another person and leaving an unattended child in a motor vehicle.

Jackmary Velez-Diaz

More:Police: Red Lion infant left in hot car while parents steal

More:Red Lion man pleads guilty to assault on pregnant woman

Left child: State police were dispatched to the intersection of Boundary Avenue and South Park Street about 6:15 p.m. for a call about an infant left in a locked vehicle, documents state.

When police arrived, they found a sheriff's deputy who had been flagged down by someone who discovered the infant in the car, according to police.

Police say the deputy and the trooper were able to remove the child from the car, and he was checked for any injuries. About five minutes later, Velez-Diaz came to the vehicle when she saw police were there, documents state.

Velez-Diaz was at a pavilion, about 100 yards from the vehicle, officials said. Police say she didn't know she had left the child in the vehicle. 

The Boundary Avenue and South Park Street intersection is next to Fairmount Park.

At the time, it was sunny, about 80 degrees and "very humid," police said.

Details about how long the child was in the car, what Velez-Diaz was allegedly doing at the pavilion and if the car had air conditioning on are not included in charging documents.

A message left for state police spokesman Trooper James Spencer seeking additional information was not immediately returned Thursday, June 14.

On average, 37 children die each year from pediatric vehicular heatstroke, according to The National Safety Council, a nonprofit organization that works to eliminate preventable deaths at work, in homes and communities.

Velez-Diaz was taken to the county's central booking unit and was sent to York County Prison in lieu of $75,000 bail. 

At the time of her Wednesday arrest, Velez-Diaz was free on $1,000 unsecured bail. She was charged in April with possession of drugs with intent to deliver.

She does not have an attorney listed for her latest charges. A message left for an attorney representing her in her other case seeking comment was not immediately returned Thursday afternoon.

Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 28 at District Judge John H. Fishel's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.