Man shot by cop in Spring Grove had 4 police encounters earlier that day

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

Northern York County Regional Police responded to the Jackson Township home of Ryan Shane Smith Jr. four times in the hours before Smith was shot by a Southwestern Regional officer in a bank parking lot.

On Wednesday, June 6, Northern Regional Police fulfilled a Right-to-Know Law request made by The York Dispatch that requested information about all of the department's calls to Smith's home in the 100 block of Nashville Boulevard in 2018.

State police investigate an incident at Santander Bank, 39 W. Hanover St., in Spring Grove Wednesday, May 30. (Photo: Lindsay C. VanAsdalan)

Smith, 32, was shot May 30 while struggling with two Southwestern Regional police officers in the parking lot of Santander Bank, 39 W. Hanover St. in Spring Grove.

Two eyewitnesses have told The York Dispatch that Smith was handcuffed and partially in the back of a police cruiser when one of the officers shot him in the leg.

State police and the eyewitnesses both reported that officers shocked Smith with a Taser several times before that, and court documents state Smith was "noncompliant and would not put his legs in the back seat of the police car."

Earlier police encounters: Northern Regional officers were called to Smith's home four times on May 30, the first being at 9 a.m., according to records provided by Sgt. Jeremy Neidigh.

A neighbor called 911 to report that he saw Smith on the neighbor's porch, "snorting an unknown substance," records state. The officer spoke with Smith, who was described as uncooperative, but no arrests were made.

Ryan Shane Smith

Officers were called back to the home at 10:56 a.m. for a report of suspicious activity, possibly drug-related, records state.

Police returned to Smith's home at 11:45 a.m. when an ambulance was called there. Police spoke with Smith and Christine Smith, records state; no one was transported by the ambulance and no arrests were made.

Christine Smith is Ryan Smith Jr.'s mother, and both live at the Nashville Boulevard address. No one answered the door there on Tuesday, June 5.

Then at 2:50 p.m. May 30, Christine Smith requested police respond back to her home to conduct a welfare check on Ryan Smith, according to police records.

"Ryan Smith was found not to be a threat to himself or others," according to Northern Regional police records, which state he was offered a ride away from his home but declined.

"Ryan Smith said he wanted to take a walk to clear his head," records state.

Other police calls: Northern Regional officers responded to the Smith home three other times in May, police records reveal.

State police investigate an incident at Santander Bank, 39 W. Hanover St., in Spring Grove Wednesday, May 30. (Photo: Lindsay C. VanAsdalan)

On May 25, officers responded to a mental-health call at the home and spoke with Christine Smith and Ryan Smith, records state.

On May 16, officers responded to the Smith home for a hang-up call to 911.

Once there, they spoke with Ryan Smith Sr., who said his wife and son had been arguing and that both left the house on foot, records state.

An officer spotted them walking along Route 116, at which point Ryan Smith Jr. "reported that his mother wouldn't let him alone and that he wanted to go to Rutter's," according to records.

"Christine Smith was concerned about her son," police records state. "Ryan Smith was found not to be a danger to himself and allowed to continue on to Rutter's."

More:Second witness says man handcuffed when shot by police

More:Witness: Handcuffed man shot in back of police cruiser in Spring Grove

Demanded $500K: According to charging documents filed against Smith by state police, Smith refused to leave Santander Bank on May 30 without withdrawing a half-million dollars.

He doesn't have an account with the bank and didn't have proper identification with him to make a withdrawal, according to police.

"Smith was disorderly and threatening bank employees and created a hazardous condition for other customers," Trooper Nikki Gundel wrote in charging documents.

He was asked to leave the bank numerous times but refused, at which point Southwestern Regional Police were called to the scene, documents state.

Smith allegedly struggled with Southwestern Officers Stu Harrison and Michael Matthews and resisted arrest, according to state police, who are investigating the police-involved shooting at the behest of the York County District Attorney's Office.

The officers eventually got him out of the bank and partially into the back of a cruiser, documents state, but he wouldn't pull his legs inside the car, documents state.

Witnesses say that's when one of the officers shot Smith in the leg.

Last week, a state police spokesman said Smith was in stable condition at York Hospital. An updated condition could not be obtained Wednesday.

Southwestern Regional Police Chief Greg Bean

Pending charges: Smith will be charged with resisting arrest, criminal trespass and two counts of disorderly conduct, but he has not yet been arraigned, according to court records.

His attorney, Seamus Dubbs, declined immediate comment.

Last week, Southwestern Regional Police Chief Greg Bean confirmed Harrison and Matthews were placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure in officer-involved shootings.

He also said he would like to speak more about the incident but was not yet able to do so.

On Wednesday, Bean sent a text message to The York Dispatch in response to a text seeking additional comment:

"The review of this incident by the Pennsylvania State Police and the Southwestern Regional department is progressing well," he wrote. "At some point in the future when all the facts and information are gathered, we look forward to providing our residents a full explanation of what occurred."

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.