Penn State's Nick Singleton made the list of freshmen football players to watch in 2022

Red Lion man pleads guilty to assault on pregnant woman

Marcus Beers

A Red Lion man who beat his pregnant girlfriend last year pleaded guilty and was sentenced to time served, according to his attorney.

Marcus Allen Beers, 32, pleaded guilty to simple assault on Wednesday, May 30, said his attorney, Farley Holt.

Online court records indicate that Beers' original charges of aggravated assault, strangulation and harassment were dismissed as a result of his negotiated plea deal.

Common Pleas Judge Michael E. Bortner sentenced Beers to 11½ to 23 months in prison, and, according to online court records, Beers had already been in York County Prison for more than a year.

“He got time served," Holt said.

More:Police: Red Lion man attacked pregnant woman

More:Wrightsville man allegedly kicked pregnant girlfriend

The prosecutor in the case declined to comment, according to York County District Attorney's Office spokesman Kyle King.

King said the plea agreement was made because of "evidentiary issues."

Holt said photos of the injuries provided to the prosecution were not from the incident in which Beers was charged.

Charges: State police said that in the early-morning hours of April 25, 2017, Beers attacked a woman who was 25 weeks pregnant inside their home on Lancaster Avenue in Red Lion.

Holt said Thursday, May 31, that Beers and the woman were together at the time, and the child is his. 

The 23-year-old woman told troopers that Beers grabbed her by the throat, squeezed it and threw her into a wall, charging documents state. After being thrown into the wall, the woman fell to the floor, landing on her stomach, police said.

She went to her bedroom, but Beers followed her and hit her in the face, splitting open her lip, after which he struck her in the back two more times and choked her, documents allege.

The woman was able to make it outside, but Beers followed her and pushed her to the ground twice more, police allege.

At that point, the woman got away from Beers and called a friend, who drove her to Memorial Hospital, documents state.

She remained in the hospital — where she learned that stomach trauma had prematurely separated her placenta from her uterus — for 24 hours.

Holt said that the woman initially wanted charges filed, but then that changed.

"She flopped, then she didn't want the charges to be filed — but it was too late," he said.

Holt said the woman and Beers are no longer together.

He said Beers will be transferred to Dauphin County on pending charges, for which Holt is not representing him.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.