Police: Woman escapes handcuff, flees from police in Red Lion

A Chester County woman who fought with troopers managed to run away three times during and after an arrest in Red Lion, according to police. 

State police said Sheena Dinell Crawley initially ran away from officers who suspected she was driving under the influence on Thursday, May 10.

After she was taken into custody, she allegedly slipped one hand out of her handcuffs and fled. Officers captured her again, but she managed to escape a second time after they took her to the hospital for a blood draw and for treatment of injuries, officials said.

Sheena Crawley

Crawley, 27, of Coatesville, is charged with three counts of aggravated assault and one count each of escape, DUI, resisting arrest and summary traffic offenses.

Pulled over: Two state troopers pulled Crawley over in the 200 block of West Broadway at about 12:40 a.m. Thursday, May 10, after she was driving over the solid double yellow lines and through a designated stop line, according to police.

When troopers saw her, she had bloodshot and glassy eyes, slow speech and was confused, officials said. She told authorities she used a controlled substance within the past few days and that troopers would likely fund drugs in her system, charging documents indicate.

Troopers suspected she was driving under the influence and attempted to place her under arrest, according to court documents. A York Area Regional Police officer arrived to assist, and Crawley became "visibly agitated and uncooperative," officials said.

More:Police: Red Lion man robs good Samaritan who bought him food

More:Police: Red Lion woman stabbed boyfriend

Uncooperative:  Troopers told Crawley she was under arrest and began handcuffing her, but Crawley pulled away and fled on foot, charging documents state. 

The two troopers and the officer chased her on foot, and they were able to restrain her by taking her to the ground, officials said. Police say she actively resisted while on the ground, and she kicked, scratched and attempted to bite the three of them.

She was handcuffed behind her back and brought to her feet but was able to pull a hand out of her handcuffs and escape from the trooper's grasp, documents state.

She fled on foot and the three had to chase her again, officials said. Crawley was taken to the ground again, and additional restraints were placed on her, according to police. 

Crawley was taken to York Hospital for a blood draw, but she refused, officials said. While awaiting medical assessment there, she pulled away from troopers but was captured again after a short chase, documents state.

One of the responding troopers suffered injuries to his arms, a hand and a leg, and another responding trooper injured both his arms, according to officials.

Crawley was taken to the county's central booking unit for arraignment, and she was sent to York County Prison. She posted $25,000 bail Thursday, according to prison records.

She does not have an attorney listed. She did not return a message seeking comment left for a number listed for her Tuesday, May 15.

Her preliminary hearing is scheduled for May 24 at District Judge John H. Fishel's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.