PSP files charges in target-shooting death of N. Hopewell woman

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

Two men will be charged with involuntary manslaughter and other misdemeanor offenses for allegedly causing the death of Nancy Folcomer by target shooting without a backdrop in North Hopewell Township, according to state police.

Jeremy Michael Robbins, 22, of the 2700 block of Schell Lane in North Hopewell Township, and Todd Frederick Kraft, 43, of the 1300 block of East Market Street in York City, have a preliminary hearing scheduled for Thursday, May 30, according to court records.

Members of the Girls Night Out club gather to remember their friend Nancy Folcomer while assembling photos on a poster board at the home of Nancy's sister-in-law, Kelly Folcomer, in Red Lion, Friday, June 30, 2017. Nancy Folcomer, 55, of North Hopewell Township, died after being struck by a stray bullet while riding in a car in Hopewell Township the previous Saturday. Dawn J. Sagert photo

They have not yet been arraigned on their charges of involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment and conspiracy to commit both offenses, court records state.

They will be arraigned and have bail set immediately before their preliminary hearing, according to the office of District Judge Laura Manifold.

Robbins and Kraft are accused of causing the 3:45 p.m. June 24, 2017, shooting death of Folcomer, 55, of Stine Hill Road in North Hopewell Township.

She was a passenger in a Jeep driven by her husband when a 9 mm bullet shattered the passenger-side window and went through Folcomer's lungs and heart before landing on the car seat, according to charging documents filed by Trooper Krystal Dugan.

The allegations: Documents state Robbins and Kraft were hanging out that day at Robbins' home, drinking beer and firing his 9 mm handgun.

Robbins told investigators he shoots his gun on the property often, usually at trash and cans, according to state police.

Nancy Folcomer

That day, they were firing at an old hot tub that had been dropped off as fuel for a bonfire planned later that evening, police said.

The men had lined up cans and bottles along the ledge of the hot tub and were shooting at them, and at the handle of the hot tub, which was sticking in the air, according to charging documents.

Folcomer and her husband, Charles Folcomer Jr., were at home when their power went out. After about 15 minutes or so, they decided to drive around to see if they could spot a utility line down, police said.

As Charles Folcomer was driving their Jeep in the 2500 block of Myers School Road, the passenger window shattered and he was hit by flying glass, according to state police.

Kept driving: Having been in the military, Charles Folcomer knew to keep going and get clear of the area, Dugan wrote in charging documents.

He turned and asked his wife if she was OK, to which she responded, "I don't feel good," documents state.

Those were the last words she spoke, according to state police.

Charles Folcomer stopped at a home in the 3500 block of Myers School Road and called 911 for help, police said.

A neighbor who heard shooting tracked down Robbins and Kraft and told them someone had been shot, according to police. The two men followed the neighbor to the 3500 block of Myers School Road and spoke with troopers, police said.

Police later determined each man fired between 24 and 36 rounds, and that some of them had ricocheted off the road in the area where Nancy Folcomer was fatally shot, according to charging documents.

Those ricocheted bullets left marks on the road, state police said, adding Robbins' home could be seen from the road, between trees.

More:PHOTOS: Nancy Folcomer remembered by Girls Night Out club

More:Friends recall N. Hopewell shooting victim's joyful life

More:Handgun, ammo, beer receipt seized in N. Hopewell homicide probe

Seized: Armed with search warrants, state police seized Robbins' Taurus 9 mm handgun, boxes of 9 mm rounds, a magazine for the handgun and 69 spent shell casings, according to court records.

They also seized a sales receipt dated the day of Nancy Folcomer's homicide from Queensgate Beer Barn, according to records. 

At the time of the fatal shooting, state police predicted the investigation would be lengthy.

Ballistics testing was expected to take up to nine months, a spokesman said last summer, adding the case would be turned over to the York County District Attorney's Office for approval after Dugan wrapped up her investigation.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.