York City woman gets prison for beating child who peed herself

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A York City woman has been sentenced to prison for severely injuring a 4-year-old girl because the child peed herself.

Breasjah Ann Fulp, 22, pleaded guilty Thursday, May 3, in York County Court to aggravated assault of a child less than 6 and endangering the welfare of a child, according to court records.

Breasjah Fulp

She was sentenced to 10 to 23 months in York County Prison, followed by five years of probation, and ordered to have no contact with the little girl or the girl's mother, court records state.

Fulp was ordered to begin serving her sentence on Monday, May 7, according to court records.

York City Detective Kyle Hower started investigating in September 2016 after being notified by the York County Office of Children, Youth and Families that the child had suffered "several severe injuries ... consistent with child abuse that caused the child to be admitted to Hershey Medical Center for several days," court documents state.

Hower questioned Fulp the same day. She referred to the child as her stepdaughter and said the girl's injuries were caused by a fall down the stairs, documents state.

After more questioning, Fulp eventually admitted the child didn't fall down the stairs, according to police.

The little girl's grandmother, Marsha Jays, has said Fulp isn't actually the child's stepmother. Rather, the child and Fulp's son are half-siblings, Jays said, and Fulp was baby sitting the girl at the time.

More:Prison for York City man who broke baby's arms, caused high-speed chase

More:Hopewell Twp. man accused of assaulting 2-year-old

Child was crying: Fulp told officers the child urinated on herself and wouldn't stop crying, so Fulp slapped her in the head, causing the child to fall down and strike the back of her head on the floor, documents state.

Fulp said she then grabbed the girl by the arm and dragged her, causing the child to "hit the door forcefully and then (fall) back against the hard floor again," documents state.

Fulp confessed she then picked up the child "and dropped her on the floor again," according to court documents.

An eyewitness told investigators Fulp hit the child with an open hand several times, then dragged the girl by her hair and dropped her on a sidewalk, police said.

Police: Mom wanted to put tot out in cold

Asked to lie? The eyewitness said Fulp then punched the child several times and dragged her around by her hair some more, according to documents.

The eyewitness also told Hower that Fulp "made several attempts to get her to lie to police" about how the child's injuries occurred, documents state.

Jays said her granddaughter has physically recovered but was left traumatized.

"It's been a nightmare for us," she said in November 2016. She described the girl as a fun-loving, witty child.

"We just want to see justice done," Jays said of her family.


— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.