Feds capture York City man wanted in courthouse-related shooting

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A York City man on the run from authorities since last summer has been captured in York Township, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.

About 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 2, the marshals service's fugitive task force tracked 19-year-old Matthew Lynn Hughes Jr. to a home in the Coventry at Waterford apartment complex, according to a marshals service news release.

"Officers surrounded the home and called for Hughes to surrender," the release states. "He initially refused to show himself but ultimately surrendered after about 30 minutes."

Matthew L. Hughes Jr. is wanted in a shooting on March 7. York County Sheriff's Office photo

No one was hurt, officials said.

Hughes was then taken to the county's central booking unit for arraignment in his criminal cases.

On March 7, while on the lam, Hughes allegedly shot a man outside the York County Judicial Center.

The shooting victim is a cousin of Vernon Cox Jr., who at the time was on trial in York County Court for murdering Hughes' brother, Ryan Small. A jury later convicted Cox of first-degree murder, and he was sentenced to life in prison.

According to the marshals service, state probation/parole officers on Aug. 1, 2017, filed charges alleging Hughes absconded from parole on a previous conviction. That's when the search for Hughes first began.

Court records reveal he pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in September 2015, making him a felon.

Assault charges: On Christmas Eve, the fugitive allegedly assaulted the mother of his child and twice threatened to kill her at a home in Red Lion, according to charging documents.

Police said Hughes punched and choked the woman, put a knife to her back, then pointed a gun at her after she fled with her child to a friend's home, documents allege.

In that case, state police filed charges against him that include being a convicted felon in illegal firearm possession, fleeing police, strangulation, making terroristic threats and simple assault.

More:Alleged shooter outside Judicial Center close relative of murder victim

More:Police: Wanted felon threatened to kill child’s mother on Christmas Eve

More:Life in prison for man who murdered York City weed dealer

Trial-related shooting: Hughes and Shyquel Folk, 15, of York City, are accused of shooting Derek Dorsey at the corner of North Duke Street and East Clarke Avenue about 2:30 p.m. March 7.

That's about a block from the York County Judicial Center.

Dorsey, 32, of Baltimore, survived being shot in the leg. He was in York City attending the murder trial of his cousin, as was Hughes.

Folk remains in York County Prison on $250,000 bail, charged as an adult with conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, carrying a firearm without a license and six counts of reckless endangerment.

As of 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Hughes was still in the central booking unit awaiting arraignment on the same charges.

Barrage of bullets: York City Police found 16 spent shell casings at the scene of Dorsey's shooting, and witnesses told investigators that two males fired guns, according to police.

In Wednesday's marshals service news release, U.S. Marshal Martin Pane was quoted as saying, "We cannot have parolees and probationers thumbing their noses to the judicial system."

Assisting with the capture were officers from York Area Regional Police, according to the marshals service.

The U.S. Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force for the south-central area of Pennsylvania is composed of a deputy marshal and 20 state, county and local police agencies, including York City Police, Northern York County Regional Police, the York County District Attorney's Office, the York County Sheriff's Office and state police.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.