Man gets 4 to 8 years in prison in I-83 body dumping case

A man who fatally shot a York City man during a robbery attempt, then dumped his body in southern York County, will spend the next few years in prison, according to court records.

Officials have said Kevin "Blocks" Brightful shot and killed Shannon Martin, 36, when Martin broke into a York City home in August 2016.

Brightful, 29, of York City, and Luis Felix Quinones, 29, of Brooklyn, then worked together to dump Martin's body in a remote area along Interstate 83 in Springfield Township on Aug. 12, 2016, police said.

Kevin "Blocks" Brightful

On Thursday, April 26, Brightful pleaded guilty to prohibited possession of a firearm, abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence. His other charges, which include first-degree murder, third-degree murder and aggravated assault, among other charges, were dismissed, according to court records.

Brightful was sentenced to four to eight years in prison and will receive credit for the 617 days he spent in York County Prison.

PA State Police investigate the scene of a reported body found in a grassy area off of Seaks Run Rd., Friday, August 12, 2016. John A. Pavoncello photo

Charges: Last summer, then-York County District Attorney Tom Kearney told The York Dispatch that a first-degree murder charge against Brightful wiould be dropped.

"We'd drop them anyway, because (the evidence) is not there," Kearney said. "This was a home invasion by Mr. Martin, who possessed a gun. So when he was shot by Kevin Brightful, Brightful was justified in doing it."

Police have said Martin was trying to rob Quinones and Brightful in York City when Brightful shot and killed Martin.

Court documents indicate Martin, 36, of York City, was armed with a .40-caliber handgun when he committed a home invasion that was supposed to be a robbery. It happened overnight in York City on Aug. 11, 2016.

Martin believed Brightful had a large sum of cash and marijuana and planned to rob him, documents state.

Instead, Martin scuffled with Quinones in the living room of 34 E. Cottage Place and fired one shot, documents state. Brightful then fatally shot him, Kearney said.

They then put Martin's body in a trash can, drove it to a wooded area off Seaks Run Road and dumped it there, state police have said. Someone driving on Interstate 83 spotted the body the morning of Aug. 12, 2016 and called 911, police said.

Brightful confessed to police Aug. 17, 2016, after state troopers tracked him down.

Filled in details: Brightful's defense attorney, Heather Reiner, told The York Dispatch last summer that he's remorseful about Martin's death and provided state police with critical information in multiple detailed interviews.

Kearney said at the time the version of events given by Brightful and Quinones didn't match, so investigators had to verify Brightful's account. He said state police did an outstanding job getting to the bottom of what happened.

Luis Felix Quinones

Reiner did not immediately return a message seeking comment Thursday afternoon.

In July, Quinones was convicted of abuse of a corpse, carrying a firearm without a license, conspiracy to commit abuse of a corpse, heroin possession with intent to deliver and possession of drug paraphernalia.

He was sentenced to 5 to 10 years in prison. During his sentencing hearing, he denied his involvement in the body-dumping.

"I never met him in my life," he said.

More:Men charged in murder of I-83 victim also charged with abuse of a corpse

More:Man convicted in I-83 body-dumping case

More:Man gets 5 to 10 years in I-83 body dumping case

Third arrest: Investigators in January 2017 arrested a third man in the case, Terrence Lavelle Wintermyers.

He drove Martin to Brightful's place, knowing Martin intended to rob the man at gunpoint, documents state.

Kearney said Wintermyers then acted as lookout for Martin.

After Martin's death, his family told police that Wintermyers feigned "excessive and premature" concern, adding he called local hospitals and prisons pretending to search for Martin, documents state. 

Terrence Wintermyers

Wintermyers, 32, of York City, remains free on $100,000 bail, charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery and related offenses.

Common Pleas Judge Harry Ness dismissed an initial charge of third-degree murder for Wintermyers in September, according to online court records.

Wintermyers did not have a trial date set as of Thursday.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.