Prison for York City man who broke baby's arms, caused high-speed chase

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A York City man must serve state prison time for breaking both of his baby's arms and spurring a high-speed police chase while two children were in his SUV.

Koran Antonio Culver, 24, of East Philadelphia Street, appeared in York County Court on April 16 and was sentenced to a total of 3½ to eight years in prison, according to senior deputy prosecutor Renee Franchi.

Koran Culver

Presiding Common Pleas Judge Craig T. Trebilcock also sentenced Culver to five years of probation, Franchi said.

As part of a negotiated plea agreement, he was ordered to attend parenting classes, have only supervised contact with children, undergo a mental-health evaluation and comply with any recommended counseling, court records state.

Culver on Monday pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of a child for the assault on his 5-month-old son in September 2016.

He also pleaded guilty to fleeing police, drunken driving, reckless endangerment, endangering the welfare of children and possession of a small amount of marijuana.

Culver had pleaded guilty to criminal trespass in an unrelated case, according to Franchi. That plea happened Nov. 3, court records state.

More:Former Springetts day-care operator avoids prison, left 6 kids alone

More:Prison for mom who gave opioids to 4-year-old daughter

Assaulted baby: York City Police were called to York Hospital Sept. 18, 2016, after Culver's son was brought there for treatment of two broken arms, according to court documents.

The baby's mother told investigators it was Culver who put their son to bed the night before, documents state, and she heard the baby crying loudly at the time.

The next morning, Culver handed her the baby wrapped in a blanket, and the baby's mother noticed the baby's arms went limp when not supported, documents state.

Culver told the woman their baby fell out of his bassinet, according to court documents which state he also told her not to report the injuries to police.

But a Hershey Medical Center doctor said the baby's injuries weren't consistent with a fall, and that his young age prevented him from climbing out of his bassinet, documents state.

More:Prison for York mom who crashed after high-speed chase

More:PSP: 2 charged after car accelerated at York City cop

More:Police: Man destroys pool, floods basement in Spring Garden Twp.

High-speed chase: Culver spurred a high-speed police chase about 10 p.m. Dec. 10, when he blew past a state police trooper on Interstate 83 going about 100 mph, according to court documents.

Culver had a family of four — a man, a woman and two children — in his SUV at the time and was giving them a ride when the chase started, police said.

State police Cpl. Brian Torkar was northbound on I-83 when Culver's SUV passed him, and Torkar turned on his lights and tried to pull over Culver near the Loganville exit (Exit 10), according to police.

Instead of stopping, Culver took off, police said.

Torkar pulled alongside the SUV, aimed his spotlight on Culver and told him to pull over. Culver braked in an effort to get Torkar to pass him, but the corporal stayed on Culver's tail, court documents state.

The chase continued northbound on I-83 at high rates of speed until Culver got off the highway at the Leaders Heights Road exit (Exit 14) and turned left. He then made a sudden U-turn and drove onto the northbound I-83 exit ramp heading southbound, police said.

Culver's SUV nearly hit a vehicle before continuing north on I-83, police said.

Fled on foot: Torkar bumped Culver's SUV with his cruiser, causing the SUV to spin out and stop. The corporal then positioned his cruiser so it blocked the SUV's driver-side door.

Culver climbed over his front-seat passenger and got out, then climbed a concrete wall and scaled a chain-link fence as he fled, police said.

Another trooper found him lying face down in the snow in a wooded area, with his socks and shoes off, court documents allege.

A pair of socks were found nearby that police said had several bags of marijuana in them. 

Police said the family in Culver's SUV continuously asked him to stop during the chase, but he ignored them.

Police also said Culver was smoking pot while driving.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.