CLOSE

Chief Stump, Dr. Snell and DA Sunday announce that all Central York Schools will reopen Monday after being closed for several days due to a social media threat of violence.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Police say they have closed the investigation into the threats that closed Central York schools for three days last week.

At a Sunday night news conference, Springettsbury Township Police Chief Dan Stump said a middle school student admitted to making the threats, and he said the student did so because she didn’t want to go to school.

The student will be charged with making terroristic threats, he said.

The announcement came at a 9:30 p.m. news conference, 5 1/2 hours after a briefing in which Stump and the district superintendent said classes would resume even as the investigation continued.

Central students are expected to see increased safety measures Monday, Feb. 25, including a boost in police presence and the prohibition of backpacks.

Stump had said earlier Sunday that several warrants were served on social-media companies — although he added the investigation reached beyond online activity.

Investigators were interviewing people during the Sunday afternoon news conference, he said at the time, before coming "to a full understanding" of the source of the threats at around 8 p.m. Sunday night.

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

He credits the ground effort in ending the ordeal.

"We fought a crime involving technology with old-fashioned police work going person-to-person (and) ultimately solving this."

More: Chief: Springetts PD better prepared after lessons learned from school threats

More: Central schools closed again Friday, third day since threats

More: York County schools on edge after Parkland, threats

More: Students return to Florida school where 17 were killed

Threats: District administrators canceled classes Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as police investigated.

Late Sunday night, Stump said the threats made by the student were to cause violence and harm to other students, as well as claim that the attacks would continue through the week.

"One person scared our community, and we've seen our community come together for the safety our kids," he said in an earlier conference.

School: On Friday, the chief apologized to the parents for the investigation taking so long.

"I wish we could have your kids back in school," he said.

A task force made up of local and federal agencies investigated the threats since Tuesday, Feb. 20. Officials asked for the public's help in identifying was responsible.

No threats were made after Tuesday, according to Stump.

District Superintendent Michael Snell said the days off last week will be added on to the end of the school year. 

Fears: After the Sunday afternoon news conference — before news of the investigation's close later in the night — some parents said they were worried about sending their children back to the school.

When asked if she would allow her child to attend classes Monday, Beth Wolfe said, "I don't know — my heart says no."

Snell said absences on Monday, Feb. 26 would be excused.

 

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/crime/2018/02/23/no-decision-yet-re-opening-central-york-school-district/366647002/