Prison for carjacker who crashed into Glen Rock Mill Inn

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A York-area man who committed two carjackings in less than an hour and ended up crashing both vehicles is headed to state prison.

Roy Shane Worrall, 32, whose last known address was in North York, pleaded guilty in York County Court on Feb. 5 to two felony counts each of attempted kidnapping and robbery of a motor vehicle. He also pleaded guilty to fleeing police, access device fraud and driving with a suspended license, according to court records.

Emergency personnel respond to a crash in the 100 block of Main Street in Glen Rock Thursday, Oct. 5. Photo courtesy South County Fire Photos.

As part of a negotiated plea agreement, Worrall was sentenced to 4½ to nine years in state prison, according to his defense attorney, public defender Erin Thompson.

His sentence is in the aggravated range of Pennsylvania's state sentencing guidelines, she said.

"He was always very remorseful and hopes to make the best of his time in state prison," Thompson said. "He hopes to come out and become a productive member of society."

At the time of the carjackings, Worrall had several outstanding warrants from Southern Regional Police and was wanted for burglary in North York.

First carjacking: Worrall carjacked the first victim while she was in the parking lot of the Rite Aid at 115 Leader Heights Road in York Township about 9:30 a.m. Oct. 5, documents state.

Roy Shane Worrall

She tried closing the door but was stopped by Worrall, who showed her a knife and told her to keep quiet, according to police.

She turned off her car and told him he could have it, but Worrall told her to move over, documents state. She moved into the passenger seat as he began getting in, police said. 

While Worrall was struggling to adjust the seat in the car, the victim made a move to get out on the passenger side, but police said Worrall grabbed her arm.

Still, she was able to break free and run into the store, at which point Worrall fled, police said.

Worrall crashed the car into the side of the Glen Rock Mill Inn about 10 a.m.

At the time, neighbor Heather Elmore told The York Dispatch that the crash sounded "like a bomb went off."

A bloody Worrall climbed out of the wreckage and ran off as people tried to help him, neighbor John Shake said.

Second cajacking: But he didn't remain on foot for long. 

After fleeing down Water Street, he jumped into the passenger seat of a Ford Explorer.

The driver of the SUV was just getting in the vehicle, coming back from a nearby chiropractor's office, when Worrall jumped in, stuck an object to the victim's side and told him it was a gun, according to police.

He made the man drive him up Hanover Street and then made him get out, documents state.

After receiving a report of the stolen vehicle, police saw Worrall blowing through a stop sign at Pleasant Valley Road, and two police officers turned on their lights and sirens and began chasing him, according to court documents.

Crashed: Worrall accelerated to 65 mph in a 25 mph zone on Fair School Road before losing control at a curve in the road and crashing near the Narrow Gauge Road intersection, police said.

Main Street in Glen Rock near the Glen Rock Mill Inn will be closed for several hours while utility workers replace a pole following a car accident, Thursday Oct. 5, 2017. John A. Pavoncello photo

Other than Worrall, no one else was hurt during the chase and crashes, police said.

The bulk of the damage to the Glen Rock Mill Inn centered on the restaurant's exterior stairway.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.