Police: Hammer-wielding man stops York City robber

A York City man who tried fleeing from a home he had just robbed was stopped by a man wielding a hammer, according to police.

York City Police say Devell Laquez Dickson had assaulted two people in a home in the 600 block of West College Avenue when a man inside the home knocked him out with a hammer. 

Dickson allegedly passed out and then tried to flee, but police say Jacques Barnes hit him with the hammer several times to get him to stay until officers arrived.

Devell Dickson

Dickson, 25, of the 600 block of West King Street, is charged with burglary, robbery, aggravated assault, conspiracy to commit burglary and theft.

More:Please. Hammers don't hurt him

More:Jury acquits man of machete attack outside York City church

More:Police: York City man assaulted woman with 'anything he could find'

Home invasion: Police say Dickson and another suspect kicked in the back door of the home about 2:30 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 20.

Holding an aluminum baseball bat, Dickson demanded money from a woman inside, charging documents allege.

Another man inside grabbed a hammer, but Dickson told him to put it down, according to police. 

Barnes got out of bed and began fighting with Dickson, and Dickson struck the woman in the home in the head with the hammer, police said.

Hammer: Barnes told his son, who also was in the home, to call 911, charging documents state. Police say Dickson then stabbed the son in the lower right side of his chest with a knife. 

"Barnes then grabbed the hammer from (Dickson) and began striking him," Officer Gregory Schick wrote in charging documents. Dickson was knocked out by Barnes, according to officials.

Police say Dickson had stolen two cellphones, a portable charger and a tablet, all of which were dropped during the struggle.

When Dickson regained consciousness, he tried to flee, but Barnes followed him and hit him several more times with the hammer until police arrived, according to charging documents.


Dickson was arraigned on the charges that morning. He was taken to York Hospital for evaluation, according to police. 

Officials did not identify the other suspect in court documents.

Earlier case: In October, York City Police said Dickson assaulted the mother of his children with "anything he could find."

Police say he woke up the woman about 4 a.m. Oct. 14 and started beating her. Charging documents state that he dragged her into an adjoining room and beat her with anything he could find.

Police say he struck her with a pot several times and told her he was going to kill her.

She ran for help and was found by a cab driver, who called police.

The woman told police her arm was broken, and her face and head were bleeding and bruised, charging documents state.

In that case, Dickson is charged with terroristic threats and simple assault. His charge of aggravated assault was dropped, according to online court records.

As of Monday, Jan. 29, he remains in York County Prison in lieu of $50,000 bail. He does not have an attorney listed in his latest case.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Friday, Feb. 2, at District Judge Joel Toluba's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.