Police: Cruiser totaled in Hellam Township chase

A police cruiser was totaled in a police chase in Hellam Township, according to officials.

Hellam Township Police Chief Doug Pollock said Officer Joseph Smith's cruiser crashed at the end of a chase with a Dallastown man on Sunday, Jan. 21.

“The whole entire passenger side of the police car was smashed up pretty good,” he said.

Police say Zachary Nolan Hebert fled from a traffic stop and crash in a field in Lower Windsor Township.


Hebert, 21, of the 400 block of North Pleasant Avenue, faces charges of fleeing or attempting to elude an officer, carrying a firearm without a license, flight to avoid apprehension, aggravated assault by vehicle and summary traffic offenses.

Traffic stop: Smith spotted Hebert driving his red Infiniti coupe traveling east on Lincoln Highway about 11 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 21, according to charging documents. Police say Hebert was driving with a suspended registration for insurance cancellation.

Smith tried to stop the vehicle in front of the Rivertown Restaurant at the Hellam Township and Wrightsville line, but Hebert drove away from him once Smith turned on his overhead lights, charging documents state.

Hebert  turned right onto Cool Creek Road, going southbound, before pulling over, according to police.

Smith exited his car and told Hebert to shut the car off and get out, but police say it was a "matter of seconds" before Hebert accelerated and continued back on the road.

While driving off, police say Hebert did not move over when he passed a Wrightsville Police officer who was conducting a traffic stop on the shoulder of Cool Creak Road near Eagle Lane.


More:Two Eastern football coaches injured in bus crash that killed other driver

More:Police: Man led chase from Hellam to Dover

Chase: Smith continued to chase Hebert at an estimated 100 mph on Cool Creek Road before Hebert began to pull away from him, police said.

Hebert passed Eastern York High School and Eastern York Middle School before turning right onto Adams Road, police said. 

Hebert then crashed in a field near the roadway, according to charging documents. Smith himself crashed after missing the left bend in the roadway, officials said.

“Both cars are totaled," Pollock said.

The cruiser was new, the chief said. He estimated that the car had less than 5,000 miles on it.

Charging documents state that Hebert struck a tree, causing serious injury to his passenger. 

Hebert and his passenger fled while Smith was still in his crashed cruiser, Pollock said.

Hospital: Wrightsville officers arrived and helped Smith out of his car, charging documents state. Smith walked over to Hebert's vehicle and found a work ID for Hebert, who was the registered owner of the car, according to police. 

Smith was taken to the hospital, and just after officials cleared the scene, Hebert showed up at the crash scene for his car, Pollock said. Police arrived and took Hebert, who had a broken arm, to a hospital, according to the chief.

Pollock said Smith is fine and that he had to go to the hospital as a formality. 

Car checked: Officials searched Hebert's car and found a Smith and Wesson .380 caliber with a full magazine in it, court documents state.

Because  Hebert has two active drug cases, he is not allowed to have a loaded pistol in his car while it is considered concealed, according to police.

Pollock said Hebert wouldn't talk to police. The chief said he suspects Hebert ran because of the gun in his car.

Charges for Hebert were filed Thursday, Jan. 25. He is scheduled for arraignment on the charges Monday, Jan. 29.

A number for Hebert could not be found, and a message left for his attorney seeking comment was not immediately returned Friday, Jan. 26.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Feb. 22 at District Judge Robert A. Eckenrode's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.