Six months in prison for York City shooter

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A York City man who shot another in the head has been sentenced to six months in county prison.

At the time of the Aug. 20 shooting, York City Police said Pedro Correa-DeJesus indicated he was being attacked by Angel Santiago-Torres before he shot the man in the head.

Pedro Correa-DeJesus

Police said in August that just because someone claims self-defense doesn't make it true, which is why police are duty-bound to investigate further.

After the investigation, police charged Correa-DeJesus with first-degree felony aggravated assault and reckless endangerment, a second-degree misdemeanor.

Santiago-Torres, who was 23 at the time of the shooting and also lived in York City, survived his wound, police have said.

His Lancaster-based attorney, Michael Marinaro, told The York Dispatch that an agreement was reached early on with prosecutors.

'Good compromise': The agreement was that if Correa-DeJesus pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment, the aggravated assault charge would be dismissed, the attorney said.

"It was a very good compromise, and I know my client is essentially happy with the result," Marinaro said. "After looking at the totality of the circumstances ... I advised him to take this offer."

Had Correa-DeJesus "rolled the dice" and been convicted of assault at trial, he could have faced a far stiffer punishment.

"We're lucky my client isn't spending years in state prison," Marinaro said. "He did shoot a gun, and it was reckless because he was pretty much shooting blindly."

Correa-DeJesus, 32, was sentenced to a total of six to 23 months in York County Prison and ordered to pay court costs, according to court records.

He has been locked up for about four months, his attorney said.

Assuming he continues following prison rules, Correa-DeJesus will likely earn enough "good time" to be released in another month, according to Marinaro.

More:Police: York shooting victim threw woman to ground, attacked friend

The background: York City Police said the shooting happened about 1:45 a.m. Aug. 20 in the 400 block of West King Street.

Correa-DeJesus and his girlfriend went to the block to visit their friend, who is Santiago-Torres' girlfriend, police said.

The foursome were standing outside and Correa-DeJesus was in the process of retrieving beer from his car when Santiago-Torres threw his own girlfriend to the ground, causing her to ask, "What's wrong with you," court documents allege.

Correa-DeJesus and his girlfriend started walking back toward their car to leave when Santiago-Torres called out to Correa-DeJesus, police said.

Correa-DeJesus said he walked back over to Santiago-Torres, who "became confrontational" about what he'd just done, according to documents.

Punched: Correa-DeJesus told police he didn't understand what the other man was talking about and tried to ask him, but Santiago-Torres began hitting Correa-DeJesus in the face, documents state.

"Pedro attempted to block the punches and was then able to stand up when Angel backed up to his car, where Pedro saw Angel squat down behind the open driver's door next to the car," court documents state.

"Pedro (said he) did not know what Angel was doing, so Pedro pulled his gun out and fired a shot through the windshield of Angel's car without aiming," documents state. "The shot went through the windshield and struck Angel in the head."

Marinaro said the victim is lucky to be alive.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.