Husband arraigned while charged in wife's stabbing death

More prison for man who rammed W. Manchester cop cruiser

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A driver who rammed a police cruiser while fleeing from officers last summer in Manchester Township must serve about seven more months in prison after pleading guilty.

Nova Richard Anstine, 25, formerly of Jacobus and now of the New Cumberland area, pleaded guilty Wednesday, Oct. 25, in York County Court to the third-degree felony of fleeing or attempting to elude police, the misdemeanors of simple assault and causing an accident involving damage to an attended vehicle and the summary citation of driving with a suspended license.

Nova Anstine

Charges including aggravated assault, reckless endangerment, reckless driving and careless driving were dismissed, according to court records.

Anstine was sentenced to 11½ to 23 months in York County Prison, plus two years of probation. He was given credit for the roughly four months he's already spent in prison, records state.

His attorney, public defender Josh Neiderhiser, declined comment.

York City neighbor avoids jail in hatchet attack

The background: A West Manchester Township police officer spotted Anstine pumping gas at the Rutter's Farm Store on the Susquehanna Trail at Lightner Road about 5:20 p.m. May 27 and knew Anstine's driver's license was suspended.

Anstine drove off in a black Lincoln Navigator and was on Lightner Road when the officer turned on his lights and pulled over Anstine on the North George Street entrance ramp for Interstate 83, police said.

Anstine had bloodshot eyes and a "dazed look" on his face, court documents state. The officer smelled marijuana inside Anstine's SUV and asked him about it.

Anstine then "burned out" and took off across the median and the southbound lane of North George Street, into the grass and toward a PennDOT shed, police said. He then headed south onto North George Street.

The officer followed Anstine as he ran the red light at North George Street and Lightner Road, court documents state. Police say Anstine turned right onto Woodland Avenue and turned right onto Beaver Street toward Lightner Road.


More:Police: York mom with kids in car spurred chase, then crashed

More:Police: York City chase ends in family's apartment

Drove through yard: He went up a driveway in the 2200 block of North Beaver Street, which he realized was a dead end, police said. Anstine then drove through a yard, turned around and headed back toward Lightner Road, documents state.

Police say he went south on Beaver Street and turned left onto Woodland Avenue.

As Anstine fled, he rammed a cruiser, police said.

Police said the officer hadn't activated his lights or siren when he was struck.

Anstine got away that day, but police obtained an arrest warrant for him on May 27.

He was arrested a month later, court records state.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.