Police: Man fired gun three times before York Twp. standoff

An 18-year-old York Township man fired a handgun at his grandfather three times just before a two-hour standoff, according to police.

More:Special report: York County Prison maintained by 'phone tax' on prisoners' families

More:Lower Windsor man allegedly fires gun during horse dispute

Joseph Santiago-Buehler, 18, of the 500 block of South Duke Street, is charged with discharging a firearm into an occupied structure, terroristic threats and attempted simple assault.

Joseph Santiago-Buehler

Allegations: Santiago-Buehler took his grandfather's gun about noon Monday, Sept. 19, and threatened to kill his grandfather, York Area Regional Police said in  charging documents.

He then fired the gun three times, one time to each side of his grandfather's head and a third shot just beside his left leg, police said.

The first shot went into a cupboard behind the older man, the second shot traveled through a picture frame and into a wall beside him, and the third round went into the floor beside his grandfather, police said.

Police Chief Tim Damon said Monday that Santiago-Buehler's grandfather was able to escape the home and call police. 

York Area Regional Police then got into a standoff with the man that lasted nearly two hours, police said Monday. 

Officers attempted to contact Santiago-Buehler through a cellphone and the home phone but couldn't reach him.

A negotiator from the York County Quick Response Team who is a York Area Regional officer was dispatched to the scene, where he used a "hailer" loudspeaker to make contact. Less than five minutes after the negotiator hailed Santiago-Buehler, he came out of the house and surrendered peacefully.

Police say Santiago-Buehler fired the gun to scare his grandfather. The grandfather told police he feared for his life because of Santiago-Buehler's actions, documents state.

Santiago-Buehler was arraigned on the charges Monday night, and he remains free on $5,000 unsecured bail.

A phone number for him could not be found, and it is unclear if he has an attorney.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 10 a.m. Oct. 2 at District Judge Scott Laird's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.