York man convicted of raping mentally disabled woman

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch
  • Sentencing for Santos Diaz is scheduled for Dec. 18.

Jurors took less than two hours to find a York City man guilty of repeatedly raping a mentally disabled woman for months.

Santos Diaz, 51, remains in York County Prison awaiting sentencing, which is set for Dec. 18, according to court records.

Santos Diaz

A jury on Friday, Sept. 8, convicted Diaz of all charges against him, according to deputy prosecutor Teresa Jauregui — rape of a mentally disabled person, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with someone who has a mental disability and sexual assault.

They deliberated less than two hours Thursday and Friday, Jauregui said.

Presiding Common Pleas Judge Craig T. Trebilcock ordered a full pre-sentence investigation be completed with a sentencing recommendation, according to court records.

Diaz also must undergo an evaluation by the state to determine whether he should be deemed a sexually violent predator, Jauregui said.

Guilty: Jurors determined Diaz repeatedly raped the woman between fall 2014 and April 2015, according to the prosecutor.

The victim testified and did well on the stand, Jauregui said, noting the woman's version of events has been consistent since she first reported the rapes in 2015.

Diaz testified in his own defense, denying the accusations, she said.

Public defender Jim Rader, who represented Diaz, could not be reached for comment.

Trial testimony indicated the woman has been diagnosed with a mild to moderate disability, according to Jauregui, who said that Diaz characterized her as childlike.

"I will most definitely be asking for a state prison sentence," she told The York Dispatch.

The background: Charging documents filed by York City Police note the victim "functions on the level of a 6 year old."

She told police Diaz had vaginal and anal sex with her, as well as oral sex and that she lost her virginity to him, documents state.

More:Police: Accused child rapist said 9-year-old 'was coming onto him'

He also took photos of her naked and forced her to watch pornographic movies, documents state.

Diaz left a note for his wife and fled the state after being interviewed by the lead investigator in the case, Detective Kyle Hower, according to charging documents.

Federal marshals tracked Diaz to Neptune, New Jersey, and captured him there, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.