Ex-cop Tyson Baker's federal theft trial starts Monday

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch
  • Fired Fairview Twp. cop Tyson Baker is facing federal charges including theft and destruction of property to prevent seizure.

Trial began Monday with jury selection in Harrisburg's federal court for fired Fairview Township cop Tyson Baker.

Baker, 43, remains free on bail, accused of theft. He pleaded guilty earlier this year, but withdrew those pleas.

He previously had been on "24-hour-a-day lockdown" at his Fairview Township home by order of U.S. Middle District Senior Judge Sylvia Rambo. But Rambo eased those restrictions in April at the request of the defense.

His trial is slated to begin Monday, Sept. 11, according to court records. Senior crime reporter Liz Evans Scolforo will be covering from the trial. Follow her here:

In June, Rambo granted a second defense request to remove Baker's electronic monitoring cuff. He'd worn the cuff for 18 months, according to his defense attorney, Jack McMahon.

McMahon on Aug. 28 requested a trial continuance, but Rambo denied that request the same day.

Sentencing scuttled: A March 1 filing by McMahon states that Baker initially pleaded guilty to two counts of his federal theft indictment because of his "simple desire to get it over with and move on" and not because he's guilty.

Baker had a plea agreement in place with federal prosecutors until Jan. 17, when Rambo — responding to a letter from Baker in which he failed to accept responsibility in one of the thefts — insisted in open court that he clearly admit guilt before she would sentence him. When he declined to do that on one of his two counts, she presided as Baker said he was withdrawing one of his two guilty pleas to theft.

He was expected to be sentenced at that Jan. 17 hearing. Instead, Rambo instructed the U.S. Attorney's Office to decide whether to take Baker to trial or simply agree to let him be sentenced on one felony count of theft of government property.


'Package deal': On Feb. 3, Baker's former attorney, Jay Abom, filed a motion asking that Baker be allowed to withdraw his remaining guilty plea, arguing the two-count plea agreement was "a package deal."

McMahon's March 1 brief in support of Abom's motion stated that Baker wants to take his case to trial.

"Defendant's original plea agreement was motivated not so much as an admission of criminality but more motivated by the simple desire to get it over with and move on," McMahon wrote.

Rambo granted the defense request, meaning Baker will face trial on the two theft counts as well as other original charges that would have been dismissed as part of a plea agreement.

They include destruction, alteration or falsification of records in federal investigations and destruction or removal of property to prevent seizure.

More:WATCH: Disgraced ex-Fairview cop confesses, rifles through car

More:Ex-Fairview cop awaiting sentence blames media, seeks mercy

The background: Baker, of Corn Hill Road in Fairview Township, spent about 17 years with Fairview Township Police and served on the York County Drug Task Force before 2010.

He was charged after a fellow Fairview Township police officer became a confidential informant for the FBI and worked with the agency to investigate Baker.

According to Assistant U.S. Attorney William Behe, Baker talked with the informant in the spring and summer of 2015 about stealing money from drug traffickers driving through Fairview Township.

Behe has said Baker and the confidential informant stole and shared $2,000 cash that the informant skimmed during a drug raid at a township home in November 2015. The informant turned over his share to the FBI.

Then on Dec. 16, 2015, the FBI set up a sting in which an FBI agent posed as a drug trafficker driving through Fairview Township. The plan was for the informant/officer to pull over the agent and alert Baker, according to Behe.

Tyson Baker

$15K worth of bait: The undercover agent posing as a drug trafficker carried $15,000 cash and 400 inert OxyContin pills, Behe said.

A short time after Baker was called to act as backup, he was contacted by the FBI and told the "trafficker" was under federal investigation. Baker was instructed by the FBI not to search the vehicle, according to court records.

Despite that, Baker had the vehicle towed to a nearby garage where he searched it without a warrant and took $3,000 cash and a hidden camera he found inside, although Baker missed at least one other hidden camera, according to Behe.

Baker never submitted as evidence any of the cash or the camera that he removed, Behe has said.

Fairview Township Police placed Baker on paid administrative leave in December 2015. Township supervisors fired him Feb. 29, 2016.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.