Prison for York man who shot at car full of teens

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

A York City man is expected to serve several more years in prison for shooting at a car full of high-school students after a drug deal gone bad.

Andrew Nicholas Smith, 21, of West College Avenue, pleaded guilty July 14 to one count each of aggravated assault and carrying a firearm without a license, according to court records.

Andrew Nicholas Smith

He was sentenced to 3½ to seven years in state prison and given credit for the 318 days he's already been locked up, court records state.

In exchange for his plea, a number of lesser charges were dropped. Four counts of attempted homicide were withdrawn about a year ago at the time of his preliminary hearing, according to court records.

Smith's defense attorney in the case, George Matangos, could not be reached for comment on Thursday, Aug. 31.

The background: Police said gunfire erupted about 1 a.m. Aug. 29, 2016, outside the Sunoco gas station at the corner of West Market and North Oxford streets in West Manchester Township.

No one was hurt, police said.

Four juveniles ranging in age from 16 to 18  told police they went to the gas station to meet with a man who had agreed via Facebook to sell them a quarter-ounce of marijuana, according to court documents.

But when the dealer handed over the pot, the teens took off in a vehicle without paying him, documents state.

The dealer grabbed for a passenger door handle, at which point a rear-seat passenger looked back and saw the dealer's backup man pull a gun from his waistband and fire it, according to documents.

Teens ducked: That passenger yelled a warning to others in the car, and everyone inside it ducked as shots rang out and glass shattered around them, documents state.

One of the victims told police he heard at least four gunshots and that one of the bullets came through the back window and struck the front windshield, narrowly missing the driver's head, police have said.

The driver, a 17-year-old girl, kept going, police said.

Police said they were summoned to the area by someone who heard gunfire and called 911, but officers found no one in the area when they arrived.

More:Police: York man shot up a car full of high schoolers

Family called police: About an hour later, officers were called to the 17-year-old driver's house after family members called police to report damage to the vehicle, court documents state.

The next day, Smith sent a text one of the car's occupants that stated, "Dam cuz, yal thought that was sweet," in apparent reference to the teens taking off without paying for their drugs, documents state.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.