State Sen. Mike Regan involved in physical altercation with protester: Video

Police: York shooting victim threw woman to ground, attacked friend

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch

Moments before being shot in the head over the weekend, a York City man threw a woman to the ground, then attacked her friend who witnessed it, police said.

The friend who was attacked, Pedro Correa-DeJesus, told police Angel Santiago-Torres punched him in the face then squatted down behind the open driver-side door of his car, according to charging documents filed by York City Police.

Pedro Correa-DeJesus

"Pedro (said he) did not know what Angel was doing, so Pedro pulled his gun out and fired a shot through the windshield of Angel's car without aiming," documents state. "The shot went through the windshield and struck Angel in the head."

Santiago-Torres, 23, of York City, remains in York Hospital, York City Police Chief Wes Kahley said. York Hospital has not released his condition.

York City Detective First Class Jeff Spence said Monday, Aug. 21, that Santiago-Torres was awake and detectives intend to speak with him soon.

The victim was one of two men shot in less than 24 hours in York City.

Correa-DeJesus is being held in York County Prison on $250,000 bail, charged with aggravated assault and reckless endangerment.

The allegations: York City Police said the shooting happened about 1:45 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 20, in the 400 block of West King Street.

Correa-DeJesus and his girlfriend went to the block to visit their friend, Chaira Ayala-Santiago, who is Santiago-Torres' significant other, police said.

The foursome were outside Ayala-Santiago's home and Correa-DeJesus was in the process of retrieving beer from his car when Santiago-Torres threw Ayala-Santiago to the ground, causing her to ask, "What's wrong with you," documents allege.

Correa-DeJesus and his girlfriend started walking back toward their car to leave when Santiago-Torres called out to Correa-DeJesus, police said.

'Confrontational': Correa-DeJesus said he walked back over to Santiago-Torres, who "became confrontational" about what he'd just done, according to documents.

Correa-DeJesus told police he didn't understand what the other man was talking about and tried to ask him, but Santiago-Torres began hitting Correa-DeJesus in the face, documents state.

More:Police: 2nd York City man shot in head in 24-hour period

"Pedro attempted to block the punches and was then able to stand up when Angel backed up to his car, where Pedro saw Angel squat down behind the open driver's door next to the car," Detective Tim Shermeyer wrote in charging documents.

That's when Correa-DeJesus fired a bullet into Santiago-Torres' windshield, police allege.

Self-defense? Spence said that just because someone claims he fired in self-defense doesn't make it true, which is why police are duty-bound to investigate further.

"We will let the system work," he said, adding that if evidence shows Correa-DeJesus fired in self-defense, then police and prosecutors will discuss whether charges are appropriate and, if so, which ones.

Less than 24 hours after Santiago-Torres was shot, York City Police responded to a shooting in which a city man was shot in the head, police said.

Jamere Cherry, 28, was critically injured and remains in York Hospital, police said.

Anyone who witnessed the shooting or has information about it is asked to call police at 717-846-1234, or text "Yorktips" and your information to 847-411.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.