Listen to taped phone call of Jodie Tierney and Stone Hill's mother

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch
From left, Red Lion-area residents Dylan Gurreri, Cody Stern and Cody Heffner gather around a memorial built at the base of a utility pole on Slab Road for their friends and classmates Stone Hill, 17, of Delta, and Nicholas Mankin, 16, of Felton, the day after the two Red Lion students died in a fiery crash.
(Dawn J. Sagert photo -

When a York County jury last month decided Jodie L. Tierney furnished alcohol to Red Lion Area High School teens, including two who died in a fiery DUI crash, they did so based in part on a taped conversation between her and the mother of one of the dead teens.

During the nine-day trial, jurors listened to the hour-long conversation between Tierney, 46, of Percheron Drive in Windsor Township, and Tina Hill,  the mother of 17-year-old fatal crash victim Stone Hill.

In that call, Tierney repeatedly denied knowing teens drank at her home.

State police Cpl. Jon Colarusso, the lead investigator in the case, asked Tina Hill if she would be willing to call Tierney from the state police barracks and engage her in conversation so police could record it. She agreed, and the call happened Aug. 21, two months after the crash, according to trial testimony.


The York County Clerk of Courts Office released the recording to The York Dispatch this week.

The background: Shortly after 7 p.m. June 16, 2015, Stone and 16-year-old Nick Mankin died when Stone's SUV crashed into a utility pole and burned beyond recognition on Slab Road in Lower Chanceford Township, just two minutes from the Hill home.

Both teens were likely dead before the SUV burst into flames, according to trial testimony.

Police say Stone and Nick had just left the Tierney home.

Early in the conversation, Tierney tells the grieving mother, "Steve and I have been through sheer hell," adding that she was taking doctor-prescribed medication. "Every time we think the rumors stop, they start back up again."

Jodie Tierney

Those "rumors" were about teens drinking at the Tierney home — and about Jodie Tierney supplying alcohol on three separate occasions.

'Didn't happen': Tina Hill told Tierney over and over that Stone's friends and their parents told her and her husband that teens drank at the Tierney home.

"As far as Steve and I know, that didn't happen," Tierney replied.

Later in the recorded conversation, Tierney volunteered information that on one occasion, she found the teens in her basement, each with a beer.

"I said, 'What the hell is going on down here?'" she told Tina Hill.

She claimed the teens told her they'd each taken just a sip, and all agreed the beer "tasted like s—."

Tierney then told Tina Hill that she said this to the teens: "I will tell your parents. This is not allowed in my house."

A number of teens testified that they were unconcerned about the Tierneys calling their parents about underage drinking, and several testified Jodie Tierney bought them beer and ale.

Stephen Tierney

Mother's Day: Tina Hill mentioned she heard rumors that Jodie Tierney bought the teens alcohol when they were doing yard work at the Tierney home on Mother's Day 2015 — which several people testified to.

"I have no idea, to be quite honest with you," Jodie Tierney told the grieving mother. "I have no knowledge of them doing ... any of this."

Jurors took 90 minutes to find Jodie Tierney guilty of two counts each of involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment and one count each of corruption of minors and furnishing alcohol to minors.

Tierney's sentencing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Aug. 29.

That is also the sentencing date and time for her husband Stephen D. Tierney, 46, who pleaded guilty to lesser charges on the eve of trial.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.

Cody Stern, a 2014 Red Lion Area Senior High School graduate, front, is comforted by Red Lion student Lindsay Wilhelm at a memorial built at the base of a utility pole on Slab Road in Lower Chanceford Township for their friends and classmates Stone Hill and Nicholas Mankin on the day after the two Red Lion students died in a fiery crash.
(Dawn Sagert photo)