Jacobus man allegedly rammed cop's car

  • Police say a Jacobus man rammed a cop car after fleeing from a traffic stop in May.
  • Nova Anstine, 24, remains in York County Prison in lieu of $100,000 bail.

A Jacobus man was sent to York County Prison last week, about one month after police say he rammed into a police car while fleeing from a traffic stop.

Northern York County Regional Police say Nova Richard Anstine was driving with a suspended license when an officer pulled him over.

When he was pulled over in Manchester Township, he "burned out" and took off, documents state. He then rammed into a police car while fleeing, police said.

Nova Anstine


Anstine, 24, of 4 Maple St., is charged with aggravated assault, attempting to elude an officer, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person and reckless driving, among other charges.

Pulled over:  An officer spotted Anstine pumping gas at the Rutter's on Susquehanna Trail at Lightner Road at 5:20 p.m. May 27, and police say Anstine's license was suspended.

Anstine got into his car and turned onto Lightner Road near North George Street, when the officer turned on his emergency lights to pull him over, documents state.

Anstine, who was driving a black Lincoln Navigator, pulled over on the North George Street ramp for Interstate 83, documents state.

The responding officer saw that Anstine had "red, glassy eyes," and a "dazed look" on his face, police said. Additionally, the smell of burnt marijuana was coming from inside Anstine's car, documents allege.

When asked about the smell, police say Anstine said there was nothing inside his car.

The responding officer went around to the passenger side of the car to call for another officer when Anstine "revved the motor up" in his car, documents allege.

Police: Man led chase into Hanover-area Walmart


Fleeing: Anstine then "burned out" and took off across the median and southbound lane of North George Street, into the grass and toward a PennDOT shed, police said.

The officer was able to turn around in his vehicle when Anstine then went southbound onto North George Street, according to charging documents.

The officer followed Anstine as he ran the red light at North George Street and Lightner Road, court documents state. Police say Anstine then turned right onto Woodland Avenue and turned right onto Beaver Street toward Lightner Road.

He then went up a driveway in the 2200 block of North Beaver Street, which he realized was a dead end, police said. Anstine then drove through a yard, turned around and headed back toward Lightner Road, documents state.

Police say he traveled north on Beaver Street, then made a left onto Woodland Avenue.

After that, the responding officer lost sight of Anstine's car, documents state. 

Not long after, another officer reported that he had just been rammed by a Lincoln. The other officer reported he was behind the Lincoln, and that it was heading south in the northbound lane on North George Street, police said.

The officer said that he didn't have his emergency lights or siren on when he was hit by the Lincoln, and that the Lincoln was reversing at 15 mph when it rammed into his car, documents allege.

Police were unable to find Anstine after that, and calls came in reporting that Anstine's car got on I-83 southbound, police said.

Charges: Police obtained a warrant for Anstine's arrest on May 27, and online court records state he was arraigned on his charges on June 27.

He remains in York County Prison in lieu of $100,000 bail.

Online court records indicate that a public defender will be representing him, however, no one from the York County Public Defender's Office could be reached for comment.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. July 13 at District Judge Jeffrey Oberdorf's office.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.