Man faces trial in slaying of Red Lion-area girlfriend

Liz Evans Scolforo
York Dispatch
  • Michael Morant on Friday waived his right to a preliminary hearing and is now facing trial.
  • He's accused of strangling girlfriend Rebekah Strausbaugh and dumping her body along Interstate 83.


A Windsor Township man is  facing trial for allegedly killing his girlfriend, after waiving his right to a preliminary hearing Friday.

Michael Anthony Morant, 49, remains in York County Prison without bail, charged with homicide.

Michael Morant

His formal arraignment in the York County Common Pleas Court is scheduled for July 21, according to court records.

Defense attorney Seamus Dubbs, who represents Morant, said it's too early for him to comment about the case, as he just recently received discovery information from the prosecution.

Chief deputy prosecutor Dave Sunday declined comment Friday through Kyle King, spokesman for the York County District Attorney's Office.

Members of the York County Forensic Unit search the home homicide victim Rebekah Strausbaugh shared with Michael Morant, the man accused of killing her.
(Sean Phillip Cotter photo)

The background: Morant, of the 200 block of Cambridge Drive in Windsor Township. is accused of killing live-in girlfriend Rebekah J. Strausbaugh last year during a domestic argument.

Her body was found close to Interstate 83 in Sparks, Baltimore County, on June 27, 2016, according to police.

Morant initially was charged in Maryland with her homicide, but the case was moved to York County Court in April.

Sunday has said the decision was made jointly between the York County District Attorney's Office and the Maryland State Attorney's Office.

Police: Red Lion-area woman killed in Md., boyfriend charged

What Morant said: Morant told police he found Strausbaugh at a restaurant in Baltimore and that the two argued on the ride back to Pennsylvania.

Morant claimed he pulled off I-83 in Sparks and said they both got out of the car and continued to argue, according to police.

The argument turned physical, "resulting in injuries to Strausbaugh that left her unresponsive," Baltimore County Police wrote in a news release. "When Strausbaugh did not respond to Morant, he drug her body into the woods and covered her with a blanket."

Rebekah Strausbaugh

Killed at home? But charging documents filed against Morant in York County in April, after his criminal case was transferred here, tell a different story.

Those documents allege Strausbaugh was about to break up with Morant and that on the night of June 24, 2016, neighbors saw her return home and have a heated argument with Morant in front of their home.

That was the last time she was seen alive, and she was wearing workout clothing, documents state. Her body, found a few days later, was clad in the same clothing and was shoeless, according to police.

Police allege Morant killed Strausbaugh in their home, then drove her body to Maryland and dumped it.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.

Homicide victim Rebekah Strausbaugh and boyfriend Michael Morant, accused of strangling her.
(Photo courtesy of Facebook)