LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Nearly two years ago, 10-month-old Kayden Monte died of physical abuse.

The West York baby suffered a skull fracture with internal bleeding in the back of his head, according to information obtained from the York County Office of Children, Youth and Families.

Kayden died on Aug. 3, 2015, at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center after being taken off life support.

His death was caused by traumatic brain injury, according to the Dauphin County Coroner's Office, which has ruled the death a homicide.

York CYF investigated and on March 11, 2016, determined Kayden died of physical abuse, according to CYF records.

West York Police Detective Dave Kahley investigated, then turned his findings over to the York County District Attorney's Office, according to borough Public Safety Director Matt Millsaps.

"I think it was an exceptional investigation," he said.

No charges filed: But since then, there has been no apparent movement in the case, and no charges have been filed.

"There are cases sometimes where we know what happened but can't necessarily prove it," Millsaps said. "I don't think this is one of those cases."

He said his office last spoke with prosecutors about the investigation in February.

But that's about to change, according to Millsaps.

"We'll be meeting with the district attorney and his staff to get a game plan in place," he said. "Or at least have some answers about where the case is going."

Millsaps confirmed that Kahley's investigation focused on an individual.

"We do have a person who we suspect is responsible," he said.

Prosecutors did not entertain questions about the case. Instead, Kyle King, spokesman for the DA's office, released a statement Thursday:

"The investigation into the death of Kayden Monte is ongoing. The Office of the District Attorney does not comment on the nature of an investigation until such time criminal charges are or are not filed."

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/crime/2017/05/26/no-charges-nearly-2-years-after-west-york-babys-death/102155484/