Police: Accused York City killer in custody

Liz Evans Scolforo

A York City man wanted in the April 14 homicide of Collin McGlen Smith Jr. is now in custody, police said.

Dion James Beard Jr., 27, of 1220 Wellington St., turned himself in at the York City police station about 4:45 p.m. Wednesday, according to a news release from York City Police.

Dion Beard

Beard also goes by the name "Jimmy Rhoades," according to court documents.

As of  Wednesday evening, he had not yet been arraigned on his charges of homicide and five counts of reckless endangerment.

Police allege Beard gunned down Smith, 22, of Girard Avenue in York City, in the 200 block of West Maple Street about 1:30 p.m. April 14.

An autopsy determined Smith suffered multiple gunshot wounds, according to the York County Coroner's Office, which has ruled his death a homicide.

A dozen casings: Detectives recovered 12 spent .40-caliber shell casings at the scene, police said.

Smith had gunshot wounds "throughout his upper body," including in his neck and head, according to charging documents filed by the lead investigator, York City Detective Tim Shermeyer.

Those documents state that video surveillance footage from Maple and Manor Grocery, 250 W. Maple St., shows Beard walking to the store and buying milk.

"Detectives noted a large bulge along the right front pocket area" of Beard's pants, documents allege, the insinuation being Beard had a gun in his pocket. He is the legal owner of two .40-caliber firearms, documents state.

Responders investigate a fatal shooting in the 200 block of West Maple Street Friday, April 14, 2017. Bill Kalina photo

Footage shows Beard leaving the store and walking west, police said.

A neighbor witnessed a man fitting Beard's description firing a handgun several times in the area where Smith was found dead on the sidewalk, documents state.

Bystanders 'flinched': Surveillance footage shows several people in the area "flinching and taking cover" when gunfire erupted in front of 254 W. Maple St., according to documents.

Smith was one of the people who was hanging out in the block.

Police: York City killer bought milk, shot rival

Seconds later, Beard can be seen on video quickly walking east in front of the corner grocery store, putting his hand in his right pocket, with the large bulge still visible, documents allege.

Still carrying the milk he'd just bought, Beard was then seen walking into the home of his grandmother a few houses away after the shooting, police allege.

Charging documents state Beard and Smith had an issue with each other that had escalated in the past month or two.

It is unclear whether Beard has retained an attorney.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.