Police: York City killer bought milk, shot rival

Liz Evans Scolforo

A York City resident accused of fatally shooting a man on West Maple Street on Friday popped into a corner store two minutes before the homicide and bought milk, York City Police said.

After the homicide, Dion James Beard Jr. — still carrying his milk — quickly walked into his grandmother's home, just a few yards from the crime scene, according to charging documents filed against him.

Police investigate a fatal shooting in the 200 block of West Maple Street Friday, April 14, 2017. Bill Kalina photo

Beard, 27, of 1220 Wellington St., remains on the lam, according to York City Police Chief Wes Kahley.

Once captured, Beard will be charged with homicide and five counts of reckless endangerment, according to court records. He also goes by the name "Jimmy Rhoades," documents state.

Police said he gunned down Collin McGlen Smith Jr., 22, of Girard Avenue in York City, in the 200 block of West Maple Street about 1:30 p.m. Friday.

An autopsy Monday at Allentown's Lehigh Valley Hospital determined Smith suffered multiple gunshot wounds, according to the York County Coroner's Office, which has ruled his death a homicide.

A dozen casings: Detectives recovered 12 spent .40-caliber shell casings at the scene, police said.

Smith had gunshot wounds "throughout his upper body," including in his neck and head, according to charging documents filed by the lead investigator, York City Detective Tim Shermeyer.

Those documents state that video surveillance footage from Maple and Manor Grocery, 250 W. Maple St., shows Beard walking to the store and buying milk.

Dion Beard

"Detectives noted a large bulge along the right front pocket area" of Beard's pants, documents allege, the insinuation being Beard had a gun in his pocket. He is the legal owner of two .40-caliber firearms, documents state.

Footage shows Beard leaving the store and walking west, police said.

A neighbor witnessed a man fitting Beard's description firing a handgun several times in the area where Smith was found dead on the sidewalk, documents state.

Bystanders 'flinched': Surveillance footage shows several pedestrians "flinching and taking cover" when gunfire erupted in front of 254 W. Maple St., according to documents. Smith was one of the pedestrians.

Seconds later, Beard can be seen on video quickly walking eastbound in front of the corner grocery store, putting his hand in his right pocket, with the large bulge still visible, documents allege.

Responders investigate a fatal shooting in the 200 block of West Maple Street Friday, April 14, 2017. Bill Kalina photo

Still carrying the milk he'd just bought, Beard was then seen walking into the home of his grandmother a few houses away after the shooting, police allege.

Charging documents state Beard and Smith had an issue with each other that had escalated in the past month or two.

Anyone with information about Beard's whereabouts is urged to call police at 717-846-1234, or call 911. Or text "yorktips" and your information to 847-411.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.