Police: Two who fled treated for drug toxicity, one was wanted

Liz Evans Scolforo

Two York men — one a fugitive — who fled from state police on Interstate 83 and North George Street on Monday afternoon were later rushed to York Hospital for drug toxicity, according to state police.

After eventually being taken into custody just yards from the crash scene, Dysheem Jones, 21, and Shayvon Morgan, 22, told troopers they felt woozy, and Morgan overdosed a short time later, according to state police Sgt. Doug Howell.

That was while they were being transported to the state police station, he said.

Jones' condition was deteriorating as well, and Morgan admitted they'd swallowed heroin, cocaine and oxycodone, "probably so we didn't recover it," Howell said.

They were rushed to York Hospital and treated, according to the sergeant.

"Both are going to be OK," Howell said.

Jones and Morgan were arraigned Monday night at the county's central booking unit and taken to York County Prison.

Jones, of no fixed address, is charged with three counts of possession with intent to deliver drugs and a controlled substance, three counts of simple drug possession, DUI, resisting arrest, accidents involving damage to an attended vehicle, abandoning a vehicle, reckless driving and failing to give information or render aid after an accident.

Morgan is charged with receiving stolen property, being a felon in illegal firearm possession, conspiracy to deal drugs and carrying a firearm without a license.

Ran into business: The incident started just after 1:30 p.m. when a vehicle Jones was driving caused a crash on the I-83 overpass, above the North George Street intersection with Lightner Road.

After crashing, Jones and Morgan jumped out of the vehicle and took off on foot, according to Howell.

A responding trooper learned the men might have run inside Budget Car Rental at 2008 N. George St.; he went into the front office and spotted them there, the sergeant said.

Both took off again, with Morgan locking himself in a bathroom and Jones running toward the back of the building, Howell said.

Dysheem Jones

But unable to find a way out, Jones ran toward the front of the building again, at which point he shoved the trooper to get past him, according to Howell.

Charging documents allege Jones grabbed the trooper around the waist and yelled, "I can't breathe and he's got a gun" several times, and a struggle ensued.

Tased and cuffed: The trooper was able to get handcuffs on Jones after shocking him with a Taser, Howell said.

Morgan subsequently came out of the bathroom and was arrested, police said.

In the bathroom where Morgan had been hiding, troopers recovered a stolen handgun, according to Howell.

Shayvon Morgan

Jones was a fugitive on a York County bench warrant, according to the York County Sheriff's Office.

Fugitive: He has a pending case in York County Court in which he's charged with dealing drugs, being a convicted felon in illegal possession of a firearm and carrying a firearm without a license in West Manchester Township. He had been free in that case on $100,000 bail, according to court records.

Jones also has a second pending York County Court case, in which he's charged with being a felon in illegal possession of a firearm as well as possessing a firearm with an altered or obliterated serial number, according to court records.

Jones is back in York County Prison on $100,000 bail for Monday's incident, according to prison records, and Morgan is in prison on $75,000 bail.

'Roll the dice': Howell said it's not uncommon for people carrying drugs to swallow them in an effort to avoid arrest.

He said some risk dying to avoid being caught with drugs on them.

"They'd rather roll the dice," Howell said.

At some point during the struggle, there was a call for an officer down at the scene over York County 911 radio. But Howell said there was never an officer down, and no troopers were injured.

— Reach Liz Evans Scolforo at levans@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @LizScolforoYD.