Tips lead to arrest of Newberry man in overdose death
A Newberry Township man accused of supplying the drugs that led to a deadly overdose in his apartment last May was taken into custody Thursday night.
Township police said the U.S. Marshals Service assisted in the arrest of Darren Michael Robinson, who faces one felony count of drug delivery resulting in death and three counts of drug possession with intent to deliver, two felonies and one misdemeanor, according to charging documents.
The 22-year-old’s capture came two days after Newberry Township Police posted on its Facebook that the department was looking for information regarding Robinson's whereabouts.
“You have no idea how much your efforts helped us locate this person,” the department said in a Facebook update Friday morning. “Your tips and phone calls were invaluable for us. Please continue to assist us in our fight. … We will continue to pursue drug dealers that sell this poison to our residents.”
Robinson, of 1360 Stillhouse Lane Apt. A , was wanted in connection with the death of Skyler Montgomery, 21, of New Cumberland.
Overdose: Montgomery was found unresponsive in Robinson’s bedroom on May 30, 2016, after going to the apartment to buy Xanax pills, according to court documents.
About 7 p.m. the night before his death, Montgomery purchased 15 to 20 Xanax pills from Robinson to take to a house party, police said. About six hours later, Montgomery allegedly returned to Robinson’s residence to buy more pills.
When Montgomery and a friend entered a bedroom in the apartment, they saw Robinson snorting what looked to be heroin from a CD case, according to court documents. The friend told Newberry Township Police that he saw Montgomery snorting the substance off the CD case several minutes later, documents state.
During the transaction, Montgomery’s friend exited the room and fell asleep, while Robinson, Montgomery and a fourth person continued to snort the powdery substance, documents state.
After waking up and finding Montgomery unconscious about 3:30 a.m., the friend called 911 and began administering CPR while Robinson walked out of his apartment, documents state.
Montgomery was transported to Harrisburg Hospital, where he died later that day, according to court documents.
Search: While executing a search warrant on Robinson’s apartment the day after Montgomery’s death, Newberry Township Police found numerous pieces of drug paraphernalia, envelopes common for packaging heroin and unknown pills, as well as a CD case with lines of a tan, powdery substance on it, documents state.
Montgomery’s father told police that his son had a few dollars in his wallet and a small bag of about 20 pills, which Newberry Township Police sent off to be tested by the Pennsylvania State Police, according to court documents.
The test results confirmed that Montgomery had 19 Xanax pills on him at the time of his death. According to court documents, the lab results also showed the powder Montgomery snorted before his death was a substance called furanyl fentanyl, an opioid that can be up to 100 times more powerful than morphine.
Toxicology reports from Montgomery’s autopsy found that he had ingested furanyl fentanyl, Xanax and marijuana before his death, documents state.