A look at York County's death row inmates
Liz Evans Scolforo
Here's a look at inmates sentenced to death in York County:
- John Amos Small, 55, convicted in 1996 of the 1981 bludgeoning death and attempted rape of Cheryl Marie Smith, 17.
- Paul Gamboa-Taylor, 54, who in 1991 used a ball-peen hammer to kill his wife, two of their three children, his mother-in-law and her 2-year-old son.
- Hubert L. Michael Jr., 58, who pleaded guilty to the 1993 fatal shooting of 16-year-old Trista Eng. He dumped her body in state game lands after offering her a ride to her summer job.
- Mark Newton Spotz, 43, with three death sentences for his 1995 cross-state murder spree. On the run for his brother's slaying, he killed three women during carjackings over the next three days in Schuylkill, York and Cumberland counties, including 41-year-old Penny Gunnet.
- Kevin Brian Dowling, 56, convicted of the 1997 shooting death of Spring Grove frame shop owner Jennifer Lynn Myers, 44, to keep her from testifying against him in his robbery trial.
- Brothers Milton Montalvo, 52, and Noel Matos Montalvo, 50, both convicted of the 1998 beating and stabbing deaths of Miriam Ascencio, 45, and her friend, Manuel Santana.
- Harve L. Johnson, 33, convicted in 2009 of fatally beating to death 2-year-old Darisabel Baez, the daughter of his former girlfriend, on April 6, 2008, in the tot's home in the 700 block of West Philadelphia Street.
- Kevin Mattison, 38, convicted in the 2008 robbery and murder of marijuana dealer Christian Agosto in the victim's York City home.
- Timothy Matthew Jacoby, 42, fatally shot 55-year-old Monica Schmeyer while robbing her inside her Manheim Township home on March 31, 2010.
- Hector Manuel Morales, 33, convicted of first-degree murder for executing Ronald Lee Simmons Jr., a police informant scheduled to testify against him, in 2011.
- Aric Shayne Woodard, 41, jurors found Woodard guilty of first-degree murder for fatally beating 2-year-old Jaques Omari Twinn on Nov. 7, 2011, while baby-sitting the boy and his little sister in a York City home.