LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A family of four and several of their pets were displaced after the back part of their Jackson Township home caught on fire Friday afternoon.

Denise Raudebaugh, who lives in the house, said she was cleaning when she heard the fire. She said she opened the back door and saw flames.

"The lower deck was on fire higher than the house," she said.

The fire in the 200 block of Perry Avenue was called in around 2:50 p.m., according to York County 911.

Raudebaugh, her husband, her two children and some of her pets made it out of the fire OK.

"We saved the guinea pig, the two cats and the dog," Raudebaugh said.

The fire: Nashville Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Brad Dunham said a fire chief who lives nearby was among many who called the fire in.

Dunham noted that the back part of the home was damaged, and the hot tub on the back porch had significant fire damage.

"The hot tub was the only thing that was initially on fire," he said.

He said it took firefighters about 20 minutes to have it under control. No injuries were reported, but some of the family's pets did not make it. Dunham said the family had about 10 pets in the home at the time, but he did not have an exact number on how many died.

The cause of the fire was deemed electrical in a tweet by Northern York County Regional Police.

Dunham estimated the damage at around $150,000.

"There's extensive smoke damage throughout the entire house," he said.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Smoke from porch: About 3 p.m., fire crews could be seen fighting the blaze at the home. Smoke was billowing from the back porch and the left side of the home.

Firefighters from West Manchester Township, West York, North Codorus Township and Thomasville were among the departments assisting Nashville with the blaze.

Once the fire was handled, firefighters were seen clearing up the remainder of the house. Some of the family's Christmas presents made it out of the blaze OK. Crews were placing the unharmed presents by the front door.

Fire officials left the scene shortly after 5 p.m.

Raudebaugh was grateful that no one was hurt during the fire.

"You can replace a house, you can't replace people, family," she said.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/crime/2016/12/23/structure-fire-jackson-township/95802380/