Fairview Twp. Police seek man they say choked, beat ex

Sean Philip Cotter

Police say a man choked his ex-girlfriend in Fairview Township until she almost passed out and then threatened to kill her and her daughter if she reported it.

Township police continue to search for Shaun A. Yuhas, 38, of no fixed address in the New Cumberland area. Yuhas faces charges of aggravated assault and simple assault, according to a criminal complaint filed Thursday by Fairview Township Police.

Officers responded to reports of an assault in the township at 7:55 p.m. Sept. 21, the documents state.

Logo police

A woman reported that Yuhas, her ex-boyfriend, had shown up at her house and entered with a key he'd been given, according to police. Yuhas put the woman in a headlock from behind, accusing her of cheating on him, police say.

According to documents, the woman told officers that Yuhas told her: "I better not get repercussions of this. If I get charged, I will come back and kill you and your daughter."

He let up on her throat just enough so she could say she understood, police say.

The woman told police that she was on the verge of blacking out as he strangled her. She became light-headed and "felt like (she) was going to die," police say she told them.

Yuhas eventually released her but then punched her a couple of times, documents state. The woman told police he again threatened to kill her and her daughter before taking her phone and wallet, according to documents.

Yuhas then left in a brown 1999 Ford Explorer with the Pennsylvania license plate JLD 9796, documents state.

Officer Kayla Miske, the Fairview Township cop who responded to the ensuing 911 call, wrote in the charging documents that the woman had red marks on her neck and that her face was swollen and beginning to bruise. Miske wrote that the woman had cuts inside her mouth and stains on her sweatshirt from a bloody nose she said she'd suffered at Yuhas' hands.

The woman had petechial hemorrhaging around her eyes, the officer wrote. That's often used as a sign that a person's oxygen supply was cut off by something external.

Yuhas has previously pleaded guilty to felony counts of identity theft and theft, among other charges, according to online court records.

— Sean Cotter covers York City for The York Dispatch. Contact him atscotter@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at@SPCotterYD.