Men charged in murder of I-83 victim also charged with abuse of a corpse

John Joyce

In an effort to cover up their role in the murder of Shannon Martin, two men placed the 36-year-old man's body in a garbage can, gathered up the spent shell casings from the bullets fired into his body, drove him to a gravel road near Interstate 83 in Springfield Township and dumped his body on the ground, state police said Thursday.

The men, after allegedly disposing of the shell casings by the side of the highway on the way to deposit Martin's body,  brought the garbage can back to the scene of the crime, police said.

Once there, they tried to wash away any evidence by cleaning it with solvents, according to charging documents.

Kevin Joseph Brightful, also known as "Blocks," is charged with firing the fatal shots. Luis Felix Quinones, a man with a Brooklyn, New York, address but who has a lengthy criminal history in York County, helped dispose of Martin's body, the documents state.

Kevin "Blocks" Brightful

Brightful, 27, 431 George St., is charged with homicide, aggravated assault, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, carrying a firearm without a license, possession of an instrument of crime, abuse of a corpse, tampering with evidence and simple assault. He is being held in York County Prison without bail.

Quinones, 28, of West 33rd Street in Brooklyn, is charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, carrying a firearm without a license, abuse of a corpse, tampering with evidence and possession of an instrument of crime. His bail has been set at $500,000.

Luis Felix Quinones

Armed confrontation: According to the charging documents, Martin "encountered" Brightful and Quinones at a residence located at 34 E. Cottage Place in York City during the early morning hours on Friday, Aug 12. An armed confrontation took place between the three men, during which Brightful fired several shots from a semi-automatic handgun that struck and killed Martin, the documents said.

Body found near Glen Rock identified

State police spokesman Trooper Rob Hicks said he could not elaborate on whether the defendants and Martin knew each other, what led to the argument, why the men were at this particular residence or if Martin also was  armed.

"I cannot offer any other info than what is in the affidavit," Hicks said via email.  "These details will most certainly be addressed in court."

Martin's body was discovered after drivers heading south on I-83 reported seeing a man's body off the side of the road near the Glen Rock exit. State police responded and found Martin's bullet-riddled body lying near a wooded area on Seaks Road.

Investigators are not saying how or when they identified Brightful and Quinones as suspects, but for several days after the murder, as the investigation was ongoing, news releases were issued asking anyone with information about the killing to call the state police.

Hicks could not say whether a tip, a bit of evidence or some combination of the two led to the arrests of the two defendants.

Abuse of a corpse: According to the documents, Brightful and Quinones "worked together" to get Martin's body into the garbage can and into the car. The continued to work together to remove Martin from the car and from the garbage can and to leave his body on the side of the road. And they continued to work together still to clean up the shell casings and then wash out the garbage can, according to the documents.

The documents also say the two defendants got rid of the clothes they were wearing and their cellphones, and they attempted to dispose of at least two handguns. But the documents do not say how or where they tried to ditch the guns, or whether they were successful..

It is unclear at this time whether investigators were able to recover the murder weapon or any other firearms.

Final services for Martin are planned for 11 a.m. Friday at Fairview Full Gospel Missionary Baptist Church, 465 S. Pine St.

— Reach John Joyce at or on Twitter @JohnJoyceYD.