Police nab second suspect in Whispering Wind Bear Spirit's death

Harper Ho
York Dispatch
Ryan Strada and Nicholas Strada face homicide charges in the shooting death of a 41-year-old woman in York City.

Police on Friday arrested the second suspect accused of a botched robbery that ended in the shooting death of 41-year-old Whispering Wind Bear Spirit in May.

The U.S. Marshals Task Force apprehend Nicholas Samuel Strada, 17, in the first block of West Pennsylvania Avenue in Stewartstown, according to a news release.

More:York man to stand trial in shooting death of Whispering Wind Bear Spirit

More:Four charged with robbery in relation to York City homicide; 2 still at large

Strada, of the 100 block of East College Avenue in York City, is in custody and is awaiting arraignment, York City Police spokesperson Lt. Dan Lentz said Friday morning.

He is charged with criminal homicide, conspiracy to committcriminal homicide, robbery with serious bodily injury, conspiracy to commit that robbery, burglary with bodily injury and conspiracy to commit that burglary. All are first-degree felonies. 

Strada is accused of shooting Whispering Wind Bear Spirit — previously named Jennifer Jean Makos — on May 3 inside a home at the 300 block of Smyser Street, according to police.

Strada's older brother, Ryan Craig Strada, 20, of the 800 block of Cedar Village Avenue in York City, is also facing charges of criminal homicide and robbery in the shooting.

Strada shot Spirit once in the torso in the home of her friend, Oscar Fink, who testified that the Strada brothers had barged into his residence unannounced and uninvited to confront him about some stolen marijuana the night of the shooting, according to court records.

Spirit — who, according to authorities, was hearing impaired and wore hearing aids — attempted to defend the home from the intruders and was caught up in the confrontation and fatally shot, according to court records.

The Strada brothers and four other people, who have also been charged in connection with the homicide, fled when Spirit was shot, according to police. Fink said his wife called 911 when she came downstairs and saw Spirit lying on the floor. 

Police responded about 11:30 p.m. on May 3. Spirit was rushed to WellSpan York Hospital and died during surgery from liver damage, police said.