Family displaced after chimney fire in Shrewsbury Township

Harper Ho
York Dispatch
Firefighters work at the scene of a fire on Steltz Road in Shrewsbury Township Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021. Bill Kalina photo

A family has been temporarily displaced following a chimney fire Wednesday morning in Shrewsbury Township.

Firefighters responded about 7 a.m. to the 4400 block of Steltz Road, where they could see flames from about half a mile away, said Rose Fire Co. Chief Andrew Spangenberger.

More:Police: Man shot multiple times in York City

"You could see that there was fire outside the chimney and climbing out the exterior of the residence," he said. "When we arrived, we found that there's a chimney fire with extension beyond the chimney, and crews made the attack on the fire and got it stopped to the area of the chimney."

Up to 40 firefighters from nearly 10 different fire companies, including Dallastown, Winterstown and Manchester, borough extinguished the fire in about 30 minutes, Spangenberger said. 

"It was minimal damage for what it was. It wasn't extensive damage beyond having the chimney fire with extension," he said, adding no one was injured.

Spangenberger said so many other fire companies had to be there because it was a rural setting with no fire hydrants, so the  engines were bringing extra water to the site.