'Oily rags' caused Yorktown Mall blaze, officials say
YORK CITY — Oily rags at Panaderia Bakery caused the Friday morning blaze at Yorktown Mall, city officials said.
Investigators on Friday determined oil-soaked rags spontaneously combusted in the rear of the bakery, according to York City spokesman Phillip Given in a release. The fire was deemed accidental, he said.
The fire at the Yorktown Mall in the 100 block of North Duke Street was reported around 4:50 a.m. Aug. 23, according to York County’s Department of Emergency Services. Crews arrived to find smoke pouring through the mall's roof.
Nine stores sustained an estimated $5 million in damages, Given said.
One man, the owner of Panaderia Bakery, was transported to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire was investigated by the City of York Department of Fire/Rescue Services, York County District Attorney’s Office Fire Marshal, Pennsylvania State Police and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.