10 displaced in York City row home fire
Ten people were displaced Monday night after an electrical fire damaged two York City row homes.
York City Fire Chief Chad Deardorff said an electrical malfunction in the ceiling of the second floor started the fire that spread from one row home to an adjoining one, causing more than $100,000 in damage between the two.
Crews were initially called about 7:40 p.m. to the home in the 300 block of Lindberg Avenue.
There were no visible flames from the outside, according to the chief, who said the fire was traveling throughout the building's walls.
It took crews about an hour to have the fire under control.
Deardorff said he called in additional manpower because of the heat Monday night.
“We had one firefighter taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion," he said. Another firefighter was taken to the hospital for a hand injury.
The firefighters, both from York City Fire Department, were released by Tuesday morning, Deardorff said.
He estimated about 40 firefighters helped battle the blaze Monday.
Crews from Dover Township, North York, West York and York Area United Fire and Rescue helped York City.
They cleared the scene by about 11:15 p.m.
Both homes are repairable, according to the chief. Damage was estimated at $80,000 at the home where the fire started, and $55,000 to the home next to it.
Deardorff said the damage is mostly smoke and water damage.
The Red Cross is assisting the seven adults and three children displaced in the blaze.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.