SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.
SUBSCRIBE NOW
$1 for 3 months. Save 97%.

Discarded cigarette sparks fire in York City apartment

Staff Report
The York City Fire Department responded to an apartment fire in the 100 block of West Market Street shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 21.

An improperly discarded cigarette started a fire Sunday on the third floor of an apartment in York City.

The York City Fire Department responded around 1:50 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 21, to reports of a fire in the 100 block of West Market Street. Fire Chief David Michaels said the fire started on the third-floor balcony of the apartment. 

The fire was accidental, and there were no injuries, Michaels said, but the tenants were displaced. The Red Cross also responded.

Michaels estimated the fire caused about $25,000 in damage.