Dartmouth Road fire deemed accidental

The second of two York City fires over the weekend was deemed accidental, according to a fire official.

York City Fire Chief David Michaels said the blaze in the 1400 block of Dartmouth Road on Sunday, April 8, was caused by a malfunction of something near a baseboard heater in the home.

He said officials don't know exactly what that malfunction was.

Firefighters battle their second blaze of the day in York, this one in the 1400 block of Dartmouth Road, Sunday, April 4, 2018.  John A. Pavoncello photo

The fire, which started just after 3 p.m. Sunday, was under control about 30 minutes later, according to the chief. Michaels estimated the damage at $150,000. 

"It had fire throughout the house," he said.

Two adults were displaced in the fire, and the Red Cross is assisting them. 

More:Chief: 14 displaced in York City fire

More:Dartmouth Road fire displaces 2 in York City

Second fire: The fire on Dartmouth Road was the second fire in York City that day. Firefighters had responded to a blaze in the 600 block of Wallace Street about three hours earlier.

Michaels said a child playing with a lighter on the third floor of a duplex caused the Wallace Street fire, which displaced 14 people. Four adults and six children were displaced from 698 Wallace St., and two adults and two children were displaced from 696 Wallace St.

Michaels estimated the damage at about $75,000. 

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.