York mayor: Man shot after courthouse confrontation

One person was taken to the hospital by ambulance after he was shot Wednesday afternoon in York City, according to a city official.

Mayor Michael Helfrich said York City Police responded to a report of gunfire at the corner of North Duke Street and Clarke Avenue about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 7.

A 32-year-old Baltimore man was found to have been shot once in the leg, Helfrich said.

"Our police believe this to be a targeted event, and it followed a confrontation over at the York County Judicial Center," he said.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was taken to York Hospital by ambulance. 

A suspect was not in custody as of 3:40 p.m., according to the mayor's office.

More:York homicide eyewitness: No words, just shooting

More:Prosecutor: York man killed Ryan Small 'over a little bit of weed'

Judicial center: There were only a few things scheduled for Wednesday on the court calendar, and among them was the second day of a York City murder trial. 

About 4 p.m. Wednesday, interim York City Police Chief Troy Bankert told The York Dispatch it was too early to say whether the confrontation at the judicial center that led to the shooting involved people sitting in on the first-degree murder trial of Vernon “Vito” Cox Jr.

However, the defense attorney representing Cox, Jennifer Smith, confirmed to The York Dispatch that it was her client's cousin who was shot. Smith said she couldn't say anything else about the shooting at this point.

Cox is accused of fatally shooting 22-year-old Ryan Small on Jan. 15, 2017, while trying to rob him of about a quarter-ounce of marijuana.

The trial was adjourned shortly before 4 p.m. Wednesday. It is scheduled to resume Thursday morning with more prosecution testimony.

During Wednesday morning’s testimony of Cox’s co-defendant, Leon White III, presiding Common Pleas Judge Craig T. Trebilcock interrupted questioning and had the jury sent out of the room briefly.

He admonished both sides of the gallery for their conduct in the courtroom, which he indicated included talking, eye-rolling and shaking or nodding of heads. He ordered them to sit quietly and not “testify” from the gallery, then warned that he would have anyone in violation removed for the duration of the trial.

“I can’t have the jury see any of that,” Trebilcock told the gallery. “You’re not a participant in this trial.”

No additional information was available as of 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. The investigation into Wednesday's shooting is ongoing, and anyone with information is asked to call York City Police at 717-846-1234 or anonymously text "Yorktips" and your information to 847-411.