Fire in Fairview Twp. displaces two, injures firefighter
A chimney fire in a rural area in Fairview Township displaced two residents and injured a firefighter Saturday, Feb. 24, according to the head of the Fairview Township Fire Department.
Chief Chris Weidenhammer said officials responded to the blaze on Pinetown Road shortly after 5 p.m.
It took responders nearly an hour and a half to put out the fire and an additional three hours to clear the scene, according to Weidenhammer.
Fairview Township fire officials went back Sunday morning to deal with re-burn, he said.
An occupant in the house attempted unsuccessfully to put out the chimney fire with a garden hose, Weidenhammer said.
By the time officials arrived, the fire had spread to the roof, and the home was fully involved.
One firefighter was injured but was treated on the scene and released, according to Weidenhammer.
Challenging fire: Additional help was furnished by eight other fire companies, the fire chief said.
The home’s remote location, down a narrow road in a heavily wooded area, complicated the response to the blaze, he said.
“This house was in the middle of nowhere,” Weidenhammer said.
A total of 2,000 feet of 5-inch hose was laid to combat the blaze, he added.
The home’s two residents, now displaced, are being assisted by the Red Cross.
The home’s total structural and material damage is placed at $200,000, Weidenhammer said.