Celebration of life planned for slain Central York teacher

Fired Wrightsville police chief's appeal hearing canceled

Wrightsville Police. Christopher Dornblaser photo.

Months after they voted to fire Wrightsville's police chief, borough officials are still quiet on what led to his firing — and what is next for the department.

In December, borough solicitor Sean Fields said former Wrightsville Police Chief Ron Hege had requested a private appeal hearing. On Feb. 5, Mayor Michael Albert said the hearing, scheduled for last month, had been canceled.

Albert said officials are still waiting to see if the appeal hearing is rescheduled. The mayor said if the hearing is held, it will likely be in March.

Officer Adam Schaum, the department's most senior officer, has been acting chief since Hege's suspension six months ago. The mayor confirmed that Schaum will remain in that position. 

Albert said there is no update on a permanent replacement for Hege. 

More:Appeal hearing scheduled for Wrightsville's fired police chief

More:Wrightsville officials vote to remove police chief

More:Two months later, still no word on why Wrightsville police chief suspended

Chief: Albert, who suspended Hege in August, has maintained he's unable to comment on why the chief was suspended and ultimately let go.

Just before last week's borough council meeting, he again said he was unable to comment, citing personnel issues.

Albert said after November's meeting that he suspended Hege in August with pay, and then pay was removed in October. 

The council voted unanimously during its Nov. 6 meeting to fire Hege.

According to meeting minutes, Hege had been chief since October 2012.

Police update: Wrightsville Officer Michael Carpenter, who Northern York County Regional Police say was assaulted by a drunk Manchester man on Dec. 17, has returned to work.

Police said at the time that Carpenter was assaulted while trying to remove Travis Lowe, 23, from a bar. Carpenter was off duty at the time.

He suffered a broken nose and had a large contusion to the left side of his face, according to police.

Albert said at the time that Carpenter would be having surgery for his injuries. He returned to work at the beginning of the year, according to the mayor.

The Wrightsville Police Department is made up of two full-time officers and three part-time officers, the mayor has said.

— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at cdornblaser@yorkdispatch.com or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.