Accidental fire displaces 5 in W. Manchester Twp.
An accidental fire caused by a discarded cigarette displaced five people in West Manchester Township, according to a fire official.
West Manchester Township Fire Chief Clif Laughman said the fire in the 3000 block of Quail Lane was started by a discarded cigarette in the garage on Friday, Jan. 26.
The call for the fire came in about 10 p.m., he said. One person was inside the home at the time of the fire, and that person called 911, Laughman said.
"The garage was fully involved; it was spreading to the house," Laughman said.
Officials were able to keep the fire from spreading to the whole house. The majority of the fire damage was kept to the garage and a bedroom on the second floor near the garage, the chief said. Laughman said it took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control.
"The crews did an excellent, excellent job," Laughman said.
About 40 firefighters were on the scene. Other local fire departments came to assist, including Dover, York City and York Area United Fire and Rescue.
The chief estimated the damage at $125,000. No one was hurt in the blaze.
Two adults and three children were displaced, and the Red Cross is assisting them, Laughman said.
— Reach Christopher Dornblaser at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at @YDDornblaser.