Man killed by police in church lot died from multiple gunshot wounds

Junior Gonzalez
York Dispatch

An Adams County man killed by police in a Manchester Township church parking lot over the weekend died from multiple gunshot wounds, according to the York County Coroner's Office.

Pennsylvania State Police are investigating a police-involved shooting that occurred in the Stillmeadow Church of the Nazarene parking lot at about 3:30 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 6. One Northern York County Regional Police officer suffered minor injuries, and Gregory Stough, of Reading Township, Adams County, was killed.

(Photo by Lindsay VanAsdalan)

Gregory Stough, 27, died of his injuries after an altercation with two Northern York County Regional Police officers during a traffic stop in the early morning hours of Saturday, Jan. 6.

He was pronounced dead at around 4:30 a.m. Saturday.

The coroner's office has ruled Stough's death a homicide, though the release notes the legal definition may differ and may be "found justified in some cases."

More:Coroner identifies man fatally shot by police in Manchester Twp.

Coroner: York City man dies after hit-and-run

More:Deaths by accidental shooting plummet in U.S.

Shooting: Stough was in his Pontiac Bonneville at about 3:21 a.m. in the parking lot of Stillmeadow Church of the Nazarene in Manchester Township.

Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Brent Miller said officers approached the vehicle after finding its presence at the church parking lot suspicious.

After identifying Stough as an individual wanted on four traffic warrants, officers moved to arrest Stough, but he resisted, according to a news release by the Pennsylvania State Police.

Stough had three traffic warrants for three unpaid inspection violations and one for an emissions violation.

At one point in the altercation, Stough placed his vehicle in reverse and "abruptly accelerated backward, trapping an officer between between the door and car," the release states.

Stough then continued accelerating, which "propelled the officer violently into a parked police vehicle" before his fellow officer began shooting in defense of his endangered colleague, according to the news release.

Stough proceeded to place the car in drive and accelerate toward the shooting officer, who continued firing at Stough, killing him, the release states.

One officer sustained minor injuries and was taken to Memorial Hospital, while the shooting officer is on administrative leave, which is standard procedure in the case of an officer-involved shooting.

An state police investigation is ongoing.